Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is the best way to get rid of full time 4 wheel drive?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Timmer_71, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Timmer_71

Timmer_71 Registered Member

I just bought a '78 blazer with full time 4 wheel drive and I would like to be able to run 2 wheel drive on the road.
    What are my options and what kind of prices am I looking at?

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Milemarker makes a 4x2 conversion kit that you put into your transfer case to make it part time 4wd, some of the kits come with manual hubs too.

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The best way IMHO is to toss the NP203 in favor of a NP205 and install some manual hubs. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Part timeing those cases is the worst thing you can do to them. If you keep your tires rotated so they all stay the same size there is not much gain. where you start having problems is when you get uneve tire wear or make the mistake of not replacing all 4 tires at once. The full time trucks will hang a curve and scare rice boys. Just keep it to the floor and it will go. If you live where you have harsh winters with lots of Snow and ice wait till winter and see if you really want to give up the traction advantage. The only case that came in these trucks that is stronger than a 203 is a 205. If you must convert then Stay with the Mile marker kits. The 501 is the cheap kit and for street it's fine. I have it in both my truck (one I bought part time and the other has a front locker so had no choice but to convert). the other is a Full output shaft replacement. I'm going to go with the full shaft because it's stronger. The abuse of lockers on both ends is causing some issues with the cheaper part time kit. I'm trying to get MM to get me the better kit for a review.
    Fill out your bio please (my home in header bar)
    Welcome to CK5

5. Grim-Reaper

Sorry...forgot the prices. the better kit is about $200 + hubs and the cheap kit is around $50+hubs.

6. Timmer_71

Timmer_71 Registered Member

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll just keep my full time four wheel drive.

7. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

grim and you fellas got it all wrong. The cheapest way to run part time is to take the front driveshaft out when on the street and put it back in when you want to go wheeling /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

as for me though, i am going to go doubler since it is not much more than a 205 by itself, plus i already have the 203 mated to a sm465 /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

i must say though, full time is great in the rain, snow, slush, whatever. granted we don't get alot of snow around here but i used to live in the mountains.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I'm curious: what does the part-time kit do?. A 203 has lock and unlock in both high and low range. The unlock setting uses a differential between the front and rear outputs. This is the advantage that you are referring to for the full-time trucks, right? You can run 4x4 on the street without binding. In the lock mode, it works just like a 205 or 208. The part-time kit must disconnect the front driveshaft, or it isn't any better than just hubs. So are you losing the "unlocked" ranges and replacing them with 2WD ranges? Does this give you a 2LO?

9. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

With it being full-time I dont think you can just take the front driveshaft out. I could be wrong. I realize this statement is probaly in fun but someone could get seriously hurt taking it out and the truck started rolling.

Just a thought thats all.

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You would have to run in 4 hi loc or 4 lo loc which would be 2WD hi or lo, but to gain fuel advantage of fuel economy you would still have to install locking hubs and unlock them to get rid of the loss due to front axles rotating.

And if you do pull the shaft.....make sure the wheels are chocked just in case it isn't in loc position.

11. 79Silv4x4

79Silv4x4 Registered Member

Well, if you just bought it my reccomendation is to just drive it for a while and see how you like it. I bought a 79 K-10 in March which had not been converted and, before I even drove it home, I was reading up on part time kits because I thought I would convert it since that's what happened to most of these trucks. Well, let me tell you, after a few weeks of driving it I scrapped the idea of the conversion kit and full time is now the only way for me. Corners like crazy and fuel mileage is not all that bad. Just my .02$

12. Grim-Reaper

You pretty well got it. The 203 has a diffential in the case. In normal mode it's just like a open differential in the axle. The wheel with least resistance gets the power well with this case it's the axle with least resistance. Now don't let that fool you. there is some fudge factor built in here. If you loose traction long enough all the power will go to one axle but it's a rare occurance.
    I have drove my truck on some nasty ice on a club run. It was amazing...felt very solid and almost never slipped a wheel and this was open on both axles. All the guys that did not have full time were having one heck of a time keeping it straight. I have seriously thought of poping out the lock right in the front axle in the winter and going back to full time. I'm a members/Club of a Local level Of FEMA. My club will be activated primarlily in winter emegerncys for rescue of those stuck at home with no power. It would be worth the effort to get back the full time in the winter.
    With the Part time kits you do get a 2 low but a 205 can be converted to do the same and it's easier than most realize. With a front locker this is a big advantage. Front locker just make tight turns on loose surfaces about impossible. Makes the steering real heavy. I tend to pop back into 2 low on the trails untill I get into something serious. My detroit in the rear provides so much traction that most stuff does not require front drive.
    Why part timing these cases is so bad is that the chain that drives the front output is used for lubrication. The oil slings off it and is caught in a resivior in the tail housing. Up next to the Speedo gear is a Pump. It pushes oil into the tail shaft bearing. there is also a hole running up through the rear ouput shaft that lets that oil make it's way back up to the roller bearings for the top chain gear.
    So once these are converted you have to put the tranny in loc every couple of hundred miles to make sure that resivior is refilled. Over filling a partime 203 is a good idea also. Fill the oil with the rear wheels on ramps. That will get the leve up high enough to alow oil to slosh into the resivior.
    The LOC posisiton slides a collar over the diferential sort of like a OX locker or ARB and locks the center diff so you get full drive to both axles.

13. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

thanks, i thought about writing a disclaimer statement too, but i figured no-one would actually try it. I have run mine without a front drive shaft for weeks, but it was not by choice. drove over 500 miles without it in. but then again the ground around here is flat.

14. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

How hard is the part time kit to instal? Anything specal to watch out for when you do it?

15. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

c-4 would be fastest.

deck

16. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

pm me i you are looking for a front drive shaft, i got 2 here i can sell.
    grant

17. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

instal a doubler!!
    grant /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

18. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

do you have one thats correct for a 79 K10 with 203/th350 ?

thanks

19. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

so how can a person convert a part time converted 203 back to full time stock original?
    thanks

20. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I'm not sure, I suppose you could find somebody with a stock 203 that wants a part-time 203 and swap all of the conversion pieces back into the old 203. I doubt that anybody makes a kit for it though.