Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the best way to lift a 72' Jimmy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by huntinfool79, Nov 4, 2005.

1. huntinfool79

huntinfool79 Registered Member

Hey guys new to group and I am finding much confusion with how to go about lifting my 1972 GMC Jimmy it is stock and running 33" tires now I want to do a 6" Suspinsion Lift by tuff country. but I dont know what the best way is. should I go 6" lift springs in the front and a 4" shackle flip in the back with a 2" spring lift or a 6" spring lift in the back also. what else will I need to avoid developing alot of vibration in the front end. and will my pinion angle need to be adjusted. I thought I had this figured out but now I am not so sure. and can I do this myself I am an average to above average do it yourselfer mechanic. I am also wanting to put on a 1" body lift and want to know if that is real hard to do. and if shackles are the way to go who makes the best shackle flip kit. thanks in advance for any kind of help you can give I have realized I dont know as much as I thought. I will be posting pic's soon.

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Personally, I would avoid the body lift. 6" springs for the front and the 4" shackle flip in the rear with a 2" spring would be my recommendation. It is all doable in the driveway. Hardest part being the shackle rivets. Keep in mind that you may need(probably need) different driveshafts. The shackle flip should keep your pinion pointed the right way, but if a vibration appears, you may need to shim it. 15.00 and 30 minutes.

3. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    The first gens tend to have saggy butt syndrome. I went with 6 inch tuff country up front and a 4 inch shackle flip with 3 inch tuff country springs in rear and it sits dead level right now. But then I haven't had the chance to drive it yet. If the rear sags more I may end up with zero rates back there also. This is without the top and one heavy @$$ cage, sliders, and bumpers.

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Skip the body lift. How are the springs? Sagging at all? With something that old with OE springs I would do 6" springs all around. Dont be surprised if you need longer driveshafts or lower the T-case to avoid vibrations. Also the spring lift I got had shims already on the leaf pack to help driveline angles.