Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the best way to set up my CB in my truck?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by MontanaLifted, May 6, 2003.

1. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

Aug 27, 2002
    I see we have a lot of experts in this forum so I know I can get some good help here.
    I am an idiot when it comes to CB and radio stuff. I'am trying to learn more and absorb wherever I can.

I have a pick-up and I mounted my CB to the interior roof. I ran my wires in the windshield trim and down the windshield arm and under the dash. I took the antenna cable out the firewall and under the cab, up between the cab and the bed and my antenna is mounted on a custom fab steel mount on the bed rail in the center behind my cab.

I don't know if it is the positioning of the antenna or the fact that my radio may be screwed.
    I tried tuning it in yesterday with an SWR meter I bought at RadioShack and no matter how I tuned the antenna I was still pegging 3+ on the SWR meter. I could compensate it with the meter control but I still didn't seem to recieve anything special. I could pick up some truckers on channel 6 but real fuzzy.

I'm going to send my radio to Bigfoot and have him check it out but what is your take on the mounting?

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Dec 29, 2001
    Your problem is probably the antenna mounting location. Since it is so close to the cab you are getting a lot of reflection from the cab. If you have a truck the best place other than on the roof would be in the center of a well grounded tool box.

If you don't have a tool box and don't plan to get one in the near future I'd say mount it on the side about 12" or more from the cab.

If you've been transmitting a lot with a high SWR then you might have damaged your radio but it shouldn't affect your receive.

BTW you probably weren't hearing truckers on channel 6.... More than likely it was some of the many people that talk on that channel all the time that use insane amounts of power. Ch 6 is also known as the "Super Bowl" Click here to see some setups of what type of rigs talk on the "bowl" There's even a K5 in there
  3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Mar 30, 2002
    Most radios on ch6 is what I call "Aligator radios" You know, all mouth, no ears.