Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the best way to store parts??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grimjaw, Jan 29, 2005.

1. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I have seen some good deals on parts recently. Some of these parts would be for future projects in 1-3 years. The trouble is there are less and less of the these good parts to be had at reasonable prices. Is the a good way to store ,lets say a Transmission, for a few years. I am looked for a way to prevent rust or other issues. Thanks for the help.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

indoors...

3. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I store all my extra parts on the shelf at Napa, Autozone, etc. I also keep some in my wallet.:D

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

inside a heated building

A heated garage or shed is a good place--after storing a few tranny's and engines in outdoor unheated sheds in new england,I think the only way to save parts here is to submerge them in a 55 gallon barrell of oil!!--most everthing I've trie to save for more than a year or so has rusted or gotten condensation in them,and rendered them useless scrap in a few years--now I only buy things I really need,and try not to hoard any more parts than I need,and sell the ones I have no use for quickly,before they get damaged from sitting--I see your in GA,it might not be so bad down there where its warmer,but humidity can wreak havok with metal parts too....no easy answer here I guess..:crazy:

5. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I am considering an covered oil bath mounted on a pallet. The whole reason is some parts may not be available forever. I know this is a real shocker for some. Thanks for the help.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have a np203 and a np205 out in my shed/shop and they are covered in dirt and oil so I think they are fine.

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have a 12x10 storage shed (the ones that you see at lumber yards) next to the pole barn that i keep all my spare parts in.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

seriouslly though, we have a barn style garage with a second floor thats fairly warm year round. I store everything on that floor. Everything but my 14 bolt is up there. Thats just sitting behind the s10 getting rained on.

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

soak everything down with CRC, WD40, etc.. its how boat stuff gets stored thru the winter months. just rehit em a couple times a year.. also hear it works well keeping tires from dryrotting....

10. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

i have all of my stuff sitting outside. i know that isn't optimal, but I can't do anything about it. Our barn is too full of stuff for my spares, especially since my dad has his Farmall M torn apart for resto, and the parts for it are everywhere. the only thing that is "inside" is one of my NP205's, which is inside the cab of my truck.

my 14 bolt is currently buried in a large pile of snow that was made when we plowed the drive, so you can't even see it :D

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Diesel in a spray bottle. It will wash off if its actually raining on it, but a good barrier against moist air.

We used corrosion inhibitor spray at back at the wrecking yard. It dried to a waxy brown finish. Laquer thinner took it off again. It was made by Aervoe-Pacific.... I don't recall the product name. We could store empty axle housings with bare spindles outdoors with this stuff. ;)

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Indoors that can be sealed fairly well from outside weather. I would think having a dry room would be more important than temperature. I saw a dehumidifier today at an auction that would have been perfect.

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's definately the case in La. The humidity here hovers aound 80% most of the time, so condensation develpos in everything. Makes it very difficult to store anything outside. I use a dehumidifier or airconditioner to keep the humidity down and store a few things in a small outdor storage.