Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the best way to wire a vehicle for a trailer?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by afroman006, May 22, 2005.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My truck has a hackjob mess of wirenuts and other junk for the trailer lights and I am wondering what the best and most proper way to go about wiring a vehicle for trailer lights and brakes is. I am going to be installing a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controler whenever I redo the wiring also. Where is the best place to tap into the brake light circuits? The vehicle is a 98 Chevy K3500 BTW. Thanks

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Anytime you can solder connections is best, but you would definetrly want to keep the connections tight and sealed from the weather. I have an extra plug that goes between the tailight harness and the truck harness to easily wire a trailer plug. I will have to search the garage, if you want it, send me a PM with mailing info.

Edit: looks like this one-

[​IMG]

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I used one of those as well. I think I bought it a Wal-Mart fairly cheap.

4. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I have a k3500 and use those adaptors as well.

But I hook the wiring up to a 7 pin and use the proper adaptor that will "plug into the 7 pin" so I will be able to tow any type of trailer wilth any type of plug in.

I usually work on my truck myself, but for the wiring I took the truck to a trailer shop for a professional hookup, I also had them wire up the brake controller at the same time. With the contoller and adaptors it cost around $150.00

5. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i used the wire connector also..got mine at a uhaul rental store.
    and i also bought a trailer brake, and some wire..
    i hooked it all up myself, was fairly simple..instructions were ver easy to read and follow..the longest part was running the wires to the rear bumper in a way they wouldn't get runined..
    i aslo have a 7 plug on the end of my bumper..i was pulling a travel trailer, so it pluged right up to the 7 plug..and i also carry a 7 to 4 flat adapter in my glove box for when i tow small trailers and uhaul trailers..

all in all it took me about 2.5 hours to mount and install everything.

also my travel trailer, like most i assume, got its power from the batteries on it, when not hooked up to a plug in site, and the trailer batteries were charged by my trucks battery, when the trailer was plugged into my truck.. so i ran the trailer brakes and wires off of my second battery under the hood, and had it wired in a way that the truck battery and trailer battery stayed connected even with the key off, so i never lost power, or had dim lights in the trailer..

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

That is ok only if your second battery is islolated from the main starting battery... otherwise a problem with your lights being left on in the camper may leave you unable to start the truck :doah: