Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is the deal with becoming an adult.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Drey, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I mean damn, as if livin by myself truly for the first time, gettin all sorts of bills, everything else involved with living. A blazer that breaks down once a month for usually 100 bucks sometimes more. And now another friend has died.

Last friday marked one year from a buddy of mine dieing last year, then I lost both my grandpas this year to.

Sucks alot about this guy dieing, I hadnt seen him since highschool graduation pretty much. He moved back up to Walker Minnesota where his mom was from. So like 400 miles away(accordin to mapquest) theres allready 100 stories floatin around about how it happened, and im sure no one knows for sure other then his lil bro and dad who live back in Nemaha.

Have any of you other guys ever had a ****ty year like this, or once your 21 is it just a downhill slide until you die?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Hell yeah, I've got a sh!tty year going on right now!!! Wanna hear it? Call my soon-to-be-ex-wife and ask her for her side of the story.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Nah it gets worse.:o Sorry dood.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Thanks fumes I know you would be brutally honest. New idea, Ill just be sauced all the time, no worrys, no stress:wink1:

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Hate to burst that bubble kid but that don't work either. Existance is nothing more then bouts of pleasure surrounded by a life of agony, either way you're screwed. Sorry bout that,I'm in the middle of my mid-life crisis...Still.:doah: :o

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I dont wanna be an adult, i want to be a big kid for the rest of my entire life, thats all we are anyways, old kids....

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Oh well aint that sweet, tell my bones that then, cause they aint buyin it...:D

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Life is what you make of the doo-doo.

9. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I tend to make the worst of it and blow it way out of proportion.

All in all, life aint so bad. I try to forget the chitty and only reflect on the good. If it gets chitty to the point that I dont want to deal with it, I drink some JD and think about it again. Ahhh booze the cause of, and solution to lifes problems.

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

unfotunately all doo doo may not be sculptered...I have a great skill in turning sh!t into icecream but the weather down here is too hot sometimes.I don't care what ya do while I'm gone, just know I ain't comin' back.:D

11. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Adults? where? :1zhelp:

Here's what you need to get through this thing called "life": a Bible and some alcohol :whistle:

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

The bibles for sittin on to reach the bar right???:D

13. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Well, you can sit on it, thump it, use it as a shield, uhm... stand on it, read it, make a flip book with it... there are endless possibilities ;)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  14. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Yes it does get hard as you get older but if you stay young at heart (big kid) and learn not to take things so seriously you will do well . We are all going to go through some $hit at many points in our lives and you can let it kick your butt and leave you laying in the dirt or you can be strong and learn from it and let it make you stronger . First thing is to be your own person and do not let others control and manipulate you EVEN if they are family . cut your ties to people like this as you don't need them and they will only bring you down . As for those who have ment alot to you and passed on , think about what traits they had that you like most about them and incorperate that into your personality and that way a part of them will always live on through you . Being an adult just means that you are being a responsible human being and knowing when it's time to have fun like a kid and when it's time to be an adult :D . I find that when I have some issues to work through , it's good to get away and go out to the wood's with my guns and shoot the $hit out of some stuff and have a few beers and just chill and just think things out .

15. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

One of my favorite quotes is, "Pessimists are optimists with experience"

In fact, I wrote out my theory on why optimism is a load of crap on my blog last night... It didn't come out too well since I was half asleep... But I think I got my point across that happiness is a fraud and optimistic attitudes people cram into our heads as "the only thing you need to succeed" are the biggest lie of all...

Like that old dude said... Happy is a false feeling we make up in our heads to deal with all the bull**** life slings at us... Happy people make me sick...

16. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Whoa buddy, I wouldnt go as far as saying happy people are stupid. Granted this is your opinion, but if a guy is down and trying to get some advice, maybe negative attitudes should be checked at the door.

If your pissed off at the world like every other "punk rocker" then maybe start your own thread.

As for Drey, like alot of folks are saying, learn from the crap. If its brown flush it down and move on with life a bit wiser.

17. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Pessimists usually are only happy being unhappy, therefore cancelling themselves out.

18. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Speak for yourself, Carl. Your life obviously sucks if you truly believe that. FWIW, other than the odd speed bump I've encountered along the way, my life has pretty much rocked, but, and that's a big BUT, I'VE WORKED HARD TO GET WHAT I'VE WANTED OUT OF LIFE. If you're not getting what you want out of life, there's no one to blame but you.

Bitter, jaded whiners make ME sick. Quit your moaning, get out there, kick some ass, and make your life an adventure.

19. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Drey:

The transistion from teenager to adult is a tough one. You want to accept the responsibilities of being self-sufficient, but you're too afraid to let go of the carefree lifestyle of a student/teenager. We've all been there, brother, and the best advice I can give you is to set yourself up with some sort of self-imposed life goal structure.

When you're young, life's schedule is all set out for you. Once you're on your own, it's up to you to set that schedule, and unless you have something to focus on, that can be hard. That's why you find so many slackers in your age group- they are used to having someone else dictate their day to day activities, and when it comes time to "grow up", they lack the skills to take over that job.

My advice? Figure out what you want out of life and go after it. Set some goals(buying a house, contributing $5000 a year to an investment, taking a month-long backpacking trip, etc..) and work as hard as you can to reach that goal. As soon as you accomplish one objective, move onto the next one. Basically, instead of simply "getting by", kick some ass and TAKE as much as you can from life.

As far as your buddy's death goes, once a guy reaches a certain age it becomes painfully obvious that we are neither bulletproof nor immortal. Loss and grief are just a fact of life. Does that make them any easier to deal with? No. But with maturity comes the tools you'll need to handle the emotions associated with losing people close to you.

Good luck, brother. If you ever need to chat, my PM inbox is always open.

20. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the advice everybody.

I got lucky today at work and had to rebuild the bottom on a dumpster and then work on a golf cart motor. 2 hours of torchin and welding followed by 4 hours of tinkerin sure can calm a guy down and help him think things through.

I also found out the cercumstances in which it happened. Which for some reason helps me out to know how it happened, kinda weird or whatever but it does. Thanks again the for support and advice. CK5 is like my second family.:smile1: