Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the deal with new electronic stuff?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tRustyK5, May 17, 2004.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just bought a 32" TV on Friday night...by Saturday morning it had packed it. One single line of the tube was working, the rest was black. Worked fine for about 2 hours and that was it. Took it back to Sears and I will say they refunded my money cheerfully and without any hassle. We took our money elsewhere and bought a 27" flat screen which fit our living room better anyways.

Last night I figured I'd play a little GTA3 on the new (5 weeks) PS2. Played for about 10 minutes and got a disc read error and it locked up. Tried to reload and check the disc for fingerprints or scratches...load it again and get the same thing. Tried another game...won't even load, tried a third game...won't load.

Took that back to Wal-Mart this morning and got another one...they also were very good about it.

My question is...why can't you just buy something and have it work well for a reasonable amount of time, the first time? We have better technology, but worse quality, and worse quality control.

Rene

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

people don't care any more /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif all the companies want to do is make money /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif they want to make a product that is as cheap as they can make it charge a lot and they don't care if it lasts 1 time or 100 years /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif if you think about it if you buy it and it breaks they get there money you return it they replace the broken part and re sell it so then they just made even more money of it /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif companies just don't care about anything but making money any more /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Its cheaper to not worry about making stuff quality anymore. Besides if they can make something that lasts a while and breaks they've got a business. They hope it breaks after the next model comes out so you say forget it and buy that one.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I noticed on my PS2 if the disc wont read, it may be too slippery in the center, sounds funny sure. Well anyway I put a little scotch tape on the center top of the disc around the hole , and my PS2 will read it. Worked on Nascar Thunder 2003, and Tony Hawk PS4, as well as MLB 2003 . Just an Idea /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ver notice how old refrigerators (like 50's) still run, yet nothing newer than about the 80's is still working? (well bad comparison perhaps, but seems to be way less maintenance on the older ones)

I think companies overbuild things initially (like cars) and as they refine the design, they figure out where they can skimp. Of course that saves them money, but in our greedy consumer society, if it's not cheap, we won't buy it.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Not always true, I won't buy the cheap generic electronics. Owned one generic DVD player, constantly had this loud background noise that just ruined every movie. Switched to a name brand player and its so much better.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Ver notice how old refrigerators (like 50's) still run, yet nothing newer than about the 80's is still working? (well bad comparison perhaps, but seems to be way less maintenance on the older ones)

[/ QUOTE ]

Proven fact where I work. I sell more parts for late model GE's and Maytag's than any thing else. The "OLD" stuff I get the most calls on is cosmetic, hardly ever functionals. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    in our greedy consumer society, if it's not cheap, we won't buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that right there is exactly why nobody cares anymore.

Welcome to the USA, home of companies like Wal Mart and Autozone. The quality of the product no longer matters. We sell nothing but price.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, while most of the quality issues are true, don't forget, you're talking about a componentially-complex piece of equipment.

If you had a PS2 20 years ago, the get the same quality experience (audio/video), you'd have a machine much noisier, horribly inefficient, and 5 times the size, built with tubes that get hot enough to cook a burger on. Same thing with the TV. You can have an old one that will work for 40 years, but you have to get up and go change the channel, if the picture sucks, the picture sucks, there's maybe a contrast adjuster, etc.

So it's a trade-off in a way. You get more complex controls/functions/features/end-experience-quality, but the price you pay (or "risk you take") is now having a zillion components, any or many of which can fail without warning.

I have 486's that still run fine, but I'd trade them for a P4 that will cook in a heartbeat if you turn it on without a heatsink.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

So you fully expect a product to fail to meet advertised performance and quality?

I didn't put a gun to their head and tell them to make somesthing so cuting edge it's on the verge of unstable all the time...then sell it to me for next to nothing.

Our previous TV we bought 14 years ago and never had it repaired once.

We still have Nintendo stuff going back to the mid 80's and it still works fine. If the new stuff is too fragile to be used as intended it should be redesigned until it can stand the normal rigors of operation.

Rene

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think there is any trade-off. You don't see new planes falling out of the sky two months after construction, and you don't see new cars (no matter how cheap) having huge problems shortly after construction. At least for the most part, there are always exceptions of course.

Both of those are exponentially more complex than ones built 20 years ago, yet I would argue both are infinitely more reliable and user friendly than their ancestors. (better construction methods, etc)

However, to pick on one group of appliances, washers and dryers. Parents just got rid of theirs from 1973. Replaced a few pieces, but in constant use from a 4 member family. Only disposed of because of color, and things like hinges were STARTING to wear out.

Go out and buy a brand new washer and dryer (not cheap ones, approx. $500 each IIRC) and the salesman said they will be lucky to get 5 years out of them.

12. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

It can all be explained in one sentence....MADE IN CHINA

Used to work for Crosman Corp (they make BB Guns, Pellet Guns and paintball guns). New CEO decided to move some of the manufacturing to China because it was "cheaper". This was a company that prided itself on making everything here in the good old USA. Needless to say, everything that was made in China had to be ripped out of the packages here and remachined because of the poor quality.

Did they stop doing it? Nope! Dumb*ss CEO, fired half the staff, moved even more of the manufacturing stuff to China and now they can't give the stuff away. Walmart used to be one of the biggest buyers, guess what? They found someone cheaper... Look on the shelves at Walmart and you won't find much Crosman stuff anymore. They took the one big selling point (Made in the USA and good quality) and threw that away for a few cents more profit. (which backfired on them in the end anyways....)

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That came across wrong I guess, I didn't mean to sound like you should expect it to fail.
    I expect it to work as advertised and at least outlast the warranty. I just had a brand new second PS2 controller fail a couple weeks after we got it, messing up a game I was playing with my daughter. I agree with you, it's pretty annoying. I'm not defending low quality, but I think you had cruddy luck lately with electronics. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

New appliances have so much more solid state circuitry that the overall odds of a failure should be higher than they are.
    You now have 300 tiny components to replace 20 huge components of an old system, making 14 times more components that may fail than in an older unit. And, with those 300 components, also, are 299 features you probably don't give a flock about, either.

[ QUOTE ]
    I didn't put a gun to their head and tell them to make somesthing so cuting edge it's on the verge of unstable all the time...then sell it to me for next to nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree with you, I don't want half the things I have to buy to get some single feature I do want.

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think there is any trade-off. You don't see new planes falling out of the sky two months after construction, and you don't see new cars (no matter how cheap) having huge problems shortly after construction. At least for the most part, there are always exceptions of course.

[/ QUOTE ]
    If a game console or stereo fails, people get mad. If an aircraft has a major failure, people die.
    If the same quality control efforts and redundancy systems were put into a PS2, TV, or washer that need to be put into an aircraft or automobile, the price of these items would probably rise above what a person's willing to spend on it, and the dependability might not be as important to the average consumer. Non-average consumer's would likely still buy the higher-quality product at the higher price (see macintosh's early years), but the company would make less money and be moving less product.
    It's not that surprising to see companies lowering quality to save cost. It isn't right, and we suffer as the consumer, but it's not shocking /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Why the heck am I arguing this???

15. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I had to buy a new X-Box from KidJethro b/c my old one would not read brand new games anymore. When I got my new box from him and looked at the dvd player I noticed they had changed to a different brand. This one loads every time without a problem.

Thnks Jethro!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif