Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the death roll?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddwhumper1, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Muddwhumper1

Muddwhumper1 Newbie

I have read in a couple of places on this site about a K5's death roll (or wobble, lean something or another.) I was wondering what this is and can you correct it? I just bought an 86 w/454, 700r4, 208transfer, stock axles, and 33" tires. It is being painted right now. I did notice it kind of wallows a little bit on the road-but I attributed it to the narrower rear axle and heavy fiberglass top. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Worn steering components (ball joints, TRE's, Drag Link Ends, steering shaft rag joint) can all make for less than crisp steering (ask me how on know). Death Wobble is most commonly attributed to 1 ton axle swaps (specifically the front Dana 60). There are many fixes floating around for that, but on a stock axled truck, the most common causes for wandering steering are those listed above.

John

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

If your asking about death wobble, then you dont have it. Sounds to me like you just have some body roll, which is pretty much normal.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

with my 60 frt axles i have played with. trust me when you have it you will know it. the frt axle feals like it wants out of the frame.

5. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

buddy of mine has a d44 with 38's and he gets the death wobble. everytime he puts new ball joints in and seems to go away but after about 2 wheeling trips the ball joint take a crap and the death wobble comes back.

6. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Going down the Hwy in a Jeep going 70 and suddenly get DW will make you shat yourself. It wasn't fun... I was about to grab my ankles and kiss my ass goodbye.