Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the difference in suspension lift kits?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Radek, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Radek

Radek Registered Member

I'm about to order a 4 or 5" lift for my Blazer but I don't know some of the pros and cons of what is available.

What I keep seeing though is that most have new springs up fron to give it the proper lift and then just a block for the back.
    Does this mean that for the rear you just insert this block with your existing springs? Seems a little sketch to me.
    Also some state rear "Add a leaf". What does that mean?
    Are ther actual lift kits available for the Blazer (1985) that offer re-arched leafs for the back to give it the proper height?

Thanks

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

yes you can buy new re arched springs for the back in anything from 2 inches up to 12 inches and more...

Go with a block to save you money and then get a spring later? or do a shackle flip for 4 inches...

nost here have 4 or 6 inch lift on their blazer... i'd do a six if i were you.. 4 is never enough/...

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah i went with 4" on my suburban and now i want a 6" /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Almost all lifts used arched springs for the front. Some people ghetto rig blocks for the front but that is NOT safe! For the rear, you can get arched springs which is the most expensive. It gives you a bit rougher ride but does not cause as much axle wrap as blocks do. Blocks are the cheapest and yes you just stick them under your current springs. The best way to lift, would be a shackel flip from ORD .
    That bassically flips the shackel where the spring connects to the frame to provide a 4" lift, you retain stock springs wich are not arched as much as 4" springs obviously so you keep your smooth ride. And you don't get axle wrap becuase you keep springs and do not use blocks. If you want more than 4" however you can get 2" spring along with 4" shackel to have a 6" lift, 4"spring to have a 8" lift, etc.
    Axle wrap is when the torqeu of your drivetrain starts to twist your axle and your suspension twists with it. Its kinda hard to explain but its not good, and blocks cause this beucase all the weight is supported by the small area of a block instead of an entire spring. Hope this makes sense.