Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the difference with "half years"?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JakeInAZ, Jan 11, 2003.

1. JakeInAZ

JakeInAZ Registered Member

What is the difference with \"half years\"?

I have an 84 and a half K5 Silverado and I was wondering what exactly, if anything is different. It looks a little more like an 85 to me but for the most part it's ALL 84. It came stock with rear sliders with "wings", A/C, "4 on" high beams, a seperate fuse for a refrigerator or aux. heater, power everything, 31 gallon tank, factory leaf spring lift, factory rear tint, cruise, posi-lock rear end, and dual batteries, and two-tone metal flake paint. I'm just trying to figure out what was stock, what was optional, and what was special order. Unfortunately there are no sights that delve that deeply into it. Any help would be appreciated. It's hard to find parts when you can't just walk in and say "it's an 84 K5"....cause then I get home and it's NOTHING like what I just bought. HELLLLP!

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Re: What is the difference with \"half years\"?

Your truck is what they call a rolling model change. In the middle of the production year, they decided on some changes (have no idea what, but some changes) and made it effective immediately. The guys on the assembly line will then start building it the new way, in the middle of the production run. Thus, rolling model change.
    They did that sometimes with trim level, front bezel treatment, etc.
    Order it for an 85 if you think that's what it takes. That doies kind of suck having to guess.
    If you are buying repro parts, check them out in LMC or another catalog with good pictures/drawing so you can see if that is what yours looks like. If you're buying from the parts store you should be able to return the stuff.
    -- Mike

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

What makes you think it is an 84 1/2? As far as I know, and 84 is an 84, and an 85 is an 85.

4. JakeInAZ

Thanks TX....you gave me enough information that I can at least narrow my search for parts down and attempt comparissons. My mother used to work on the assembly line at GM in california and she said that you are exactly right.

5. JakeInAZ

Well, I know my blazer is a half year because that's what the tag under the hood says and the VIN number also indicates such. So, for future reference there are half year models. At the plants they usually call them line changes.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Thats interesting. I didnt know that. I guess that would explain some difficulties at the parts store.

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i seem to have the same prob with my 88...like for a water pump if i ask for a pump from a 88 it dosent work with all the brackets...but an 87 pump works..

8. JakeInAZ

Best thing to do is to remove the part and take it with you.....saves a lot of damn hassles......OH! and bring a measuring tape with you

9. Blazer1970

The '87 - '88 thing is because they all think you are talking about an IFS truck if you say '88. Those trucks used serpentine belts.

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i know how hard it is to find parts for something like that.
    only thing is my 76 has an 86 motor in it.
    i went to buy some minor parts, come home to find that they are nithing like the ones on the rig. i looked at the rear main seal while looking at the tranny and see a 1 part rear main seal.
    it is frustraiting at the least part. like said beofre try them as a 85 vice a 84.
    Grant

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

some 85 were first design serpentine(narrower serp belt than usual) some 305 4 bbl engines anyways

i suspect that rolling changes weould be ones going from one model year to the next on base model trucks or non-special ordered trucks

12. JakeInAZ

I know exactly what you mean about the main seal issue. I had to replace mine recently and I played HELL with it....I was told that it was a one piece (because I thought it was an 84 motor) but it turned out to be two piece. I pulled my whole tranny out, transfer case, and tore the bottom of my engine apart....only to find out it was two piece and all I had to do was remove the oil pan, oil pump, and bearing cap......It's hard when they don't match. Feel free to send me a message any time if you need info.....the only part I haven't replaced thus far is the body and interior itself so I have a bit of experience with the trials and tribulations of mix and match blazers. I'm always here for advice and I'll do my best to assist you in your issues

13. JakeInAZ

My mother worked on the assembly line at GM in the 70's and the best thing I can tell all of you is that ever model that came out, whether it be Silverado, Scottsdale, Custom, Custom Deluxe, Cheyanne, etc. have MANY variations for each model. Also, a majority of Blazer or truck owners made modifications since they purchased them. Check engine codes, VINS, and ask the pros.....then go from there. But again....the best advice is to take the part out and bring it to the parts store with you.....keep a tape measure handy and use a dang piece of string to measure if you have to. We're chevy guys and chevy guys respect Chevy guys....that's all there is to it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. Blazer1970

All '84s have a two piece rear main seal. One piece started in '86.

15. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

you said factory leaf spring lift what do you mean by that