Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is the difference

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by binjabr7, Aug 26, 2005.

1. binjabr7

binjabr7 Registered Member

planning to do a REAR DISC BRAKE CONVERSION with e brake & i wonder is it
    passable to use (79-85 CADILLAC ELDORADO REAR DISC BRAKE CALIPERS )
    from what
    i heard it should be
    (77-78 CADILLAC ELDORADO) & what is the difference
    thanks
    /1994/suburban /2500/ ff- diff/454/

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i think thay went smaller in size like the s-10 size caliper.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The 77ish ones are the size of the 3/4-ton calipers, suitable for a 14 bolt.

The 79+ish ones are the size of 1/2-ton calipers, suitable for a 10 or 12 bolt.

Look on TSM's web site about their conversions and which use which calipers.

-- A

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

79-85 will only accomodate a 1" rotor, no '73-87 6 lug truck rotor I'm aware of was that thin.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dorian is correct. Something to consider though is that the caliper casting itself is the same as the 76-78 eldo, it is the piston that changed. If you can't find any 76-78 eldo calipers you could always buy the later ones and buy new pistons for the 76-78 and install them into the later casting calipers.

6. dyeager535

You sure about that? Pin spacing on my 79-85's is 5.5" (roughly) and the '76-78 is 7".

The space where the rotor fits is 2.3" on the '79-85, the '76-78 is 2.56"

Just went and measured. There HAS to be a 6 lug GM pattern 1" thick rotor out there, but I haven't found it. Supposedly the '88+ C/K's had two different thickness front rotors, but the parts stores were no help to me on that one. They'd be much easier/cheaper to use, thats for sure.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Now that i think about it, i believe it is the caddy fleetwood and seville that uses the same caliper casting but with a different thickness piston.

8. dyeager535

My dad has a pair of both the '76-78 Seville and El Dorado units, only difference on THOSE is how the e-brake spring is setup apparently.

May not have been exactly what you were talking about, but figured I'd add that just in case it helps anyone or clears anything up.

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You need to ask shane of BlackWidowPerformance. He is a vendor here and a great guy. He sells conversion stuff also and would know the answer to your questions.
    Shane74 I think or just look in vendor forum for black widow preformance

10. binjabr7

binjabr7 Registered Member

thanks guys .you'v been very helpful

11. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

OK I'm Cornfused :confused: I just bought these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=7996778617&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

So I will be do a 12 bolt rear disc swap soon and I thought I had it all figured out as to what Calipers and rotors I needed. I guess I was wrong I wasn't aware of differances in these I thought all cadi calipers for above years were the same. How bout someone posting up particulars with part #'s.

BTW if the above ebay auction makes it to me by the time my dad and uncle come through town next weekend I'm going to have them make copies and scan them onto a CD so I may upload them on here. Or get copies to others that could use them. They own a Blueprinting company so they will be of good quality, :D

12. dyeager535

I don't have particular part numbers, but the main problem is rotors.

'79-85's will work if you can find a 6 lug rotor just under 1". The '88+ C/K's used a front rotor that thickness in some applications (check out napaonline.com, they give specs for the rotors) but the offset of the rotor hat needs to match where the bracket situates the caliper. Further out could be fixed with spacers between the backing plate flange and caliper bracket, but too close would be problematic at best. Guess you could probably bolt the mount up behind the backing plate flange.

The other issue is that if you find an IFS application for a rotor, the hub cutout will be too small for the non-IFS rigs. In my case I don't need to worry about that, I've got a later 14SF with small hubs, so the rotor will fit right on.

'76-78 calipers make the rotor issue easy, since you just use a stock front one. But the calipers themselves are the issue. Seem to be able to get them fairly cheap anymore online, but getting the e-brake levers is not.

13. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Anyone tried toyota rotors on a 12 bolt conversion? for the 79 up cadi calipers?

14. dyeager535

I looked at them, there are a bunch of different ones, to include solid ones that are way too thin.

It's going to be best to find something that is as close to the stock rotor that mates to the calipers as possible.

I think the light duty '88+ C/K front rotors are the way to go, just haven't gone to Napa and had them pull a set to check them over.

15. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I talked with my Furd Rep today they have some sort of computer program that searchs for rotors based on dimensions so when my above ebay item shows up I'm gonna give him the specs and see what he finds :D