Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the difference?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BAMA74K5, Apr 30, 2000.

1. BAMA74K5

BAMA74K5 Registered Member

Can someone please explain the difference between a Detroit Locker and a Detroit EZ-locker. I am new to this and I have no idea about the differences between the two. Which one is better. I know that the Detroit Locker costs about twice as much at the EZ-locker but is it worth the extra money. Also, how can I tell if my axles already have a locker in them or not. I have a '74 K5 with a 12-Bolt in the rear and a Dana 44 up front. Any input will be much apprecitated.

2. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

someone correct me if i'm wrong but i beleive the diffrence is that the detroit replaces the carier (thing the ring gear bolts to) and the detroit EZ locker does not (much like a lockright) they are suposed to be easy to install but not as strong as a detroit locker . the strenght of the EZ locker is comprimised because of the use of the stock carrier

in my opinion the detroit is the best but the ez is good if you have smaller tires 33 or less and dont hammer your truck
    sorry about the spelling hope this helps

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Pauls right. The regular Detroit is the king of strength, but if you don't need it get the EZ. Installation is tons easier with the EZ locker too...I also believe its quite a bit cheaper.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad