Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is the fastest you pulled a motor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Feb 19, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im working on my friends k10 and we need a 350 to rebuild, i look over and see my old 78 blazer and pull it up into the shop. i started pulling the motor by my self at about 2:30 pm today. im just taking my time (finding tools, not my shop) working kinda slow and i get it done. i clean up the tools and go inside and the clock says 5:30 pm /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif it took me 2 hours to pull a motor in someone elses shop. im sure if it was my shop and i knew where everything was it would gone alot faster.

so what is the fastest youve ever pulled a motor?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've had a running engine out while it was still warm. 20 minutes max. Three people working and we cut everything.

To prove how warm it was, one of the last things we did to hook up the chain and lift it was remove the carburator. When the fuel from the fuel hose hit the intake, it boiled.

3. bshewmaker

bshewmaker Registered Member

nothing faster than a demolition derby motor pull. Pull the hood undo the radiator hoses, slash everthing else. Then pull motor and tranny together. 15 min. tops /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

what if you were working on it your self and didn't cut anything?

it surprised me doing it by my self and even got sidetracked alittle /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

ya....we do derby's too and can have them out in less than 15 min.

NITRO

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

you-i can have that motor out in 14 minutes....

challenger:"i can have that motor out in 13 minutes"

you-"challenger, take that motor out"

if your a bit older the above might remind you of a distant game show....if your younger.... /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

7. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo 1/2 ton status

pulled engine out of 82 chevy malibu station wagon 305 2bbl, pulled engine out of 76 chevy 2wd truck 350 4 bbl and put in malibu wagon. 4 1/2 hrs. every thing working but the air conditioning.

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you-i can have that motor out in 14 minutes....

challenger:"i can have that motor out in 13 minutes"

you-"challenger, take that motor out"

if your a bit older the above might remind you of a distant game show....if your younger.... /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

6 minutes with a blue wrench and engine hoist /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Pulled the motor out of a 71 chevelle. 350sbc connected to a powerglide tranny. I believe 5 block to bellhousing bolts, 3 torque converter bolts,16 header bolts, 2 engine mount bolts, disconnect 2 radiator hoses, 2 heater core hoses, vacuum hose to tranny. power wire to dist and alternater. And remove hood. Did it myself outside with a truck crane I know it took under 90 mins. In my garage I can guarantee it would be out in under an hour. Granted that is probably one of the easiest engine pulls no AC or emmission stuff, exhaust was easy to remove, big roomy engine bay...I'm sure pulling an engine fron a caravan would be a different matter entirely.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    6 minutes with a blue wrench and engine hoist

[/ QUOTE ] Concrete saw is faster. Cuts through exhaust, motor mounts, crossmembers, ...ect like it's warm butter. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

From a street/strip car about 30-40 minutes without cutting anything. Of course the hood lifts off and there are a minimum of things to disconnect...

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I pulled the motor in my blazer out by myself in about an hour. With friends we've done it in about 20 min. Air tools really helps.

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my buddy Norm (the one who came with me to pick up the truck) and I took 2 complete running cars, and swapped engines. pulled them both in the garage side by side, pulled the engines, swapped them. had both running and drivable withing 4 1/2 hours.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

BTW, 2:30-5:30 is 3 hours there, buddy. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Me and a buddy pulled the 289 and the tranny from his 66 'stang in 30 minutes....INCLUDING going to the rental place to rent the hoist AND to return it...so maybe 10-15 minutes of motor pulling time.

16. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

A friend and myself pulled out a 350 in 30 minutes, and din't cut anything. He worked the top, i worked the bottom.

17. big83chevy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW, 2:30-5:30 is 3 hours there, buddy.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

18. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Probably the fastest... somewhere around 40-55 minutes with me, myself and I, using some air tools and undoing everything properly. (but leaving all the accessories attached w/the motor)

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's obvious that you guys are just amatuers. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Several years ago one of the car mags had an article on car stripping gangs in and around New York City. They hooked up with one of the gangs and arranged to have them strip a car provided by the magazine. These guys pulled up in front of the car and went to work on it. In just over 17 minutes they had pulled the engine and tranny, entire front clip, the doors and seats, wheels and tires, and the trunk lid and had all of it loaded up and ready to drive away. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Be careful hwere ya park up there! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

I’ve had one out in a little less than 3hrs by my self but I gotta say when I’m in the garage I’m never further than 15’ from the beer box. It’s kind of hard to be reaching for a world record when you’re reaching for another beer. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    It's obvious that you guys are just amatuers. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Several years ago one of the car mags had an article on car stripping gangs in and around New York City. They hooked up with one of the gangs and arranged to have them strip a car provided by the magazine. These guys pulled up in front of the car and went to work on it. In just over 17 minutes they had pulled the engine and tranny, entire front clip, the doors and seats, wheels and tires, and the trunk lid and had all of it loaded up and ready to drive away. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Be careful hwere ya park up there! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The last time I was at the auto show here in town they had a competition between teams stripping cars. It shocked the hell out of me watching them get those things apart so fast and I wasn’t the only one checking on the truck out in the parking lot after it either.