Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the flap on the passenger kick panel for?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sample, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Just curious, trying to figure out why my AC blows out of all vents at the same time, ie:floor, dash and defrost.

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

That's the flap for fresh air/recirculated air. If all your vents are blowing, check for vacuum leaks to your heater controls. There's a small tube that goes through the firewall near the passenger side in the engine compartment. That has to be connected to manifold vacuum or the heater/ac controls won't work right.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You sure you have a problem? My A/C blows COLD air out all vents when in the A/C mode, but when I turn it to defrost then only the windshield defrost vents are open, and when I turn it to heat then once again all vents blow HOT air.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    You sure you have a problem? My A/C blows COLD air out all vents when in the A/C mode, but when I turn it to defrost then only the windshield defrost vents are open, and when I turn it to heat then once again all vents blow HOT air.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Your truck is broken. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif When set on "Heat", hot air should only be coming out of the floor vent, with a very small amount also coming out of the defrost vent. Air should only come out of the dash vents when the control is set for a/c or vent. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif (Some models also have a Bi-Level setting that will split air between the dash and heater vents, with the air coming from the heater vent slightly warmer than what's coming from the dash vents.)

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

My 90 blows hot air from the vents and floor on the HEAT setting and only from the vents on A/C (not that my A/C works anyways) and on defrost, again from the defrost vents and the dash.... WTF? At least I know I'm not the only one now... let's figure out how to fix this problem! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When my defrost stopped working it was because the little tiny vacuum line had come disconnected from the little sphere under the hood. Worth checking because it's super easy to fix.

7. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

The plastic vac line under the hood is usually the problem. It's either disconnected, broken, or cracked. Mine had been working somewhat, but the vac line was cracked in about 5 places so the heater controls weren't working the way they should. I cut mine near the firewall and ran a rubber vac line instead and now everything works. Even if your hose looks ok, check it by bending it slightly to see if it is cracked. Here's a pic from my '88.

[​IMG]

8. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Once the vacuum tube passes throught the firewall, where does it go? I am assuming to the back of the control panel.