Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the general price...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Nov 13, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

For someone to fully rebuild a SBC or BBC?

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

what are you talking re-build?? just seals?? just general clean out??

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

depends... huggies??

yeah well it depends. Completely stock? Can be fairly cheap. Does the block need to be decked? Valve job need to be done? Bored? Line honed? Not every rebuild needs these things. My 355 rebuild cost like $1800(never should have let dad lead that build). My 383 I estimate around 1K. But I do all my own assembly work(except cam bearings and pressing rods that need it).

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

whats the usual things for a stock block to get done to? Is there anything I should do to get more power out of it?

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

is it a 305 or 350?

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Either a 350, or a 454, I have access for both.

While we are on the topic, would a Pontiac engine cost more to rebuild because they aren't as common as chevy? Specifically a 455

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Machine work is what costs the big money and it's generally the same no matter what kind of engine.

Parts are cheap.

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Put a good cam, and PORT fuel injection!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Machine work is what costs the big money and it's generally the same no matter what kind of engine.

Parts are cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]
    cheaper for a SBC. Little more for a BBC and even more for Pontiac motor. For a Pontiac motor, you need a new trans or an adapter plate. With the fact that some people crack housings on TH400s I wouldn't want to run an adapter plate. I've never seen the adapter plates they sell though, they could be awesome. Pontiac motors kind of suck though. They had a lot of really crappy emission years. And the really crappy ones are much more common. I've got a crappy Pontiac 400. It has less than 8:1 from the factory.

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

This spring I had the full machine work treatment done to mine plus: balanced, comp cam including lifters & springs, assembled w/edelbrock intake, distributor install, primed oil pump, and they painted the block (w/primer even, I was impressed). Total bill was around $1800, can't remember the exact price.

11. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

$750 for generic machining and parts for a SBC. If you're paying someone else to rebuild the motor it's cheaper to go buy a Goodwrench longblock.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Parts are cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]
    cheaper for a SBC. Little more for a BBC and even more for Pontiac motor. For a Pontiac motor, you need a new trans or an adapter plate. With the fact that some people crack housings on TH400s I wouldn't want to run an adapter plate. I've never seen the adapter plates they sell though, they could be awesome. Pontiac motors kind of suck though. They had a lot of really crappy emission years. And the really crappy ones are much more common. I've got a crappy Pontiac 400. It has less than 8:1 from the factory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 2wd BOP th-400 I can modify to work.

For the engine, I would do whatever I can to cut down the cost. so I would paint it my self. And depending on my knownledge, install whatever I can.