Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the ideal wheelbase for a full size chevy???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Apr 4, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

Seems everyone is stretching the wheelbase on their blazers, chopping the frames on their long beds. so what is the ideal wheelbase?

my vote would be the shortbed pickup. longer than a k5 and shorter than a long bed. now what would be cool is a k5 on a shortbed frame with some fancy bodywork where it would almost look like an extracab, blazer type thing.

so come on, lets get it going without a big pissin match /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

For what type of wheeling? The tight stuff, even the 106.5 of the K5 seems a little tight for a lot of places.

3. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I've done nothin to alter my wheel base, but i've watched POOHBAIR wheel and his added 6" seems to help in some siuations. So i guess hes at about 112.5" or so.

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Well I've been do alot of thinking on this subject and the ideal frame for me is a Suburban. My original plan was to put an extended cab S10 body on it, but I've also been tossing around the idea of putting my K5 body on the Suburban frame. Not sure yet.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

100-110 seems to be what lot of people shoot for.

Toy's run up to 122" IIRC, so it all depends on what you build for.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i wanna get a cheap s-10 and put the body on my blazer...the body is no good on that thing anyway..its basicly behoned repair...inless your really good with medal..(im not) and i hate to get rid of that POS..becuase me and my dad put the whole drivetrain to gether and got it running..(a lot of you kow about my blazer) but it was more a pregect than anything practical..so after i got my licence i really needed a decent truck..so i got me my 86 k-10 and i love it!

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The ideal length is what ever works for you and what you run. <shrug> For me, hard core rocks in AZ, I'm happy at 112 and I wouldn't change a thing.

8. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

so an extra cab s-10 is the same wheelbase as a burb? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif i like burbs to and they seem to be real close in w/b to a long bed truck but they have way more ass end overhang- about 6" more. are you goning to cut the rear of the frame off?

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic of my Blazer w/ about a 112 1/2" wheelbase. I just got it going again this spring w/ the extra wheelbase and the 3/4 ton conversion/4spd so I haven't wheeled it alot the way it is...but from what I have wheeled it I love it!
    [​IMG]

10. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

168.5" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I think the main reason most peeps here on ck5 stretch their wheelbase is to get better approach/departure angles. Lots of the hardcore rock crawlin jeep guys go to considerable expense to stretch their heeps to 105-110 inches... so I guess our K5s come from the factory pretty close to optimal. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IMO it depends on the type of obstacles you are traversing more than what type of terrain you drive in. Some rock crawlin obstacles are MUCH easier if you have LOTS of wheelbase while others are easy if you have buggy or jeep-esque wheelbase. <shrug> Sorta a non-answer I guess... but its my way of saying that I dont think there is a "perfect" wheelbase.

j

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'm at 106.5 still but I am going to try 108 to help out the approach angle. The driveline I have for my 203 won't be long enough, so its on hold for now.