Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the longest time your truck has not been drivable?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jishory, May 17, 2005.

1. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

My Blazer has been under the knife since March and it sucks, I have been doing an engine swap, it has been a pain to get done but i should be able to get done by this weekend and finally get on the trails again. :grin:

2. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

My '80 GMC sat almost 2 years before I got around to throwing a motor, axles, and tranny and t-case back in it. The motor I put in 3 weeks ago lasted 1 week, tore it apart and put it back together again, and it lasted through this weekend. Now the motors gotta come back out again.

My Scout and Wagoneer have been sitting since 1996. My Camo Blazer has been down since 2001. The Big Crew Cab has been apart since 2002.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well i bought my K5 in Jan'99...
    I think the longest it was ever down was about a week maybe a week and a half when i blew up the motor.
    Being my daily driver, when something breaks, i'm usually pulling an all nighter to get it back on the road asap, or i'm borrowing my dad or sisters truck for a few days chasing down parts. :grin:
    ... Now my camaro, i think i yanked out the big block in November to freshen up everything, i'm about ready to fire it up again sometime in june and take it back to the racetrack. :crazy: Thats tough, I get antsy when something just sits for so long. :frown1: But such a great feeling once you get her going again. :cool1:

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

2 1/2 years and still on a non opp, but it does run and drive now.

5. tin man

tin man 1/2 ton status

My 85 burned up when I moved to Az. I was without a truck for 4 years. That really sucked. At least when you are in the middle of a project, you can still go out and tinker. You can also see the light at the end of the tunnel. When you are deprived of your truck completely, the tunnel is always black. Thank goodness I found my 74. I've seen the light. :laugh:

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Mine has been down for almost a year. Its allmost done thou.

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Well, looks like I take the record so far, I tore apart my '73 K5 for a complete restoration in April of '98. So that's 7 years running. I've worked on it pretty steadily (at a minimum 15-20 hours a month, many months of many many more hours), so I think it all counts as "down" and not just sitting waiting for "someday I'll get around to it". It's pretty close to being done, I think within this coming year. But I got my '97 K2500 for light wheeling....

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I was down almost 6 days when I rebuilt my tranny.

9. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Blew a main bearing and she was sitting for 2 years until i dropped a motor in and bolted the tranny and tcase back up... I had to have some work done on the tranny while it was sittin too.

counting the days until the prominator is in my budget then its party time.

"Blast off, its party time... and where the F*ck are you???!!!" BYOB is the shiznat.

10. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Well over a year and a half. Its been sitting there just looking, well, broken. I started working on it again recently now that I have a little spare time, but it still sits broken. Taunting me. Damn electric fire. :mad:

Kris

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

1 year and 3 months, I just drove it for the first time on Sunday :D :D

12. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bought it in January, immediately tore it apart. Got everything together yesterday. It is technically driveable but there's a leaky fuel line that drips close to the exhaust and an electrical short that kills batteries when I leave the truck sit. So I guess it'll have been down six months by the time I get the bugs worked out.

13. tdcombs

tdcombs Registered Member

My 72 has pretty much been down since fall of 03. I think that after last weekend i have it driveable again.

14. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My Blazer was down the longest of when the Gov Loc let go , about a month while I found time to go get a 12 bolt and swap it .

Trail rig ain't been on the road since spring 2004 when it was intact :D

15. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

this question is painful cause my blazer project is going on a year and a half, and my srw crew cab...well, i dont even want to talk about. :(

16. tdcombs

tdcombs Registered Member

Ive about decided that after i get everything how i want it mechanically on my Blazer that ill buy another one to fix the body up on and then swap the mechanicals.

My Blazer body will require a ton of work and im afraid itd be years before the body was done. I missed driving it last year and dont want to go through that again.

17. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

Had the burb down for about 2 months.
    Was forced to drive my jeep.
    Now the burb is great and the jeep is dead and been that way for about 8 months.
    Dosn't really matter I like the burb alot more for drivin around and muddin.

18. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

lets see, a yr, then 6 months, then like a month, then a few random 1 or 2 days.

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my 82 C10 has been down since July of 2000, it has since taken up residence in my buddy's garage. my 86 "C10"/K10 has been down since July of '03, and will be finding a new home in Illinois this Saturday, then the end of summer it will move to Wyoming, hopefully moving under its own power by then.

20. wicked87_k5

wicked87_k5 1/2 ton status

My blazer was down for almost 6 years. blew the motor, trans, rear, and the ecm. i'm sure there is a bunch more but i just cant remember. It just came back on the road in sept. now its time to make up for those 6 years