Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the Most Rust "You" have ever fixed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by titus95, Sep 20, 2005.

1. titus95

titus95 Registered Member

~Sorry to be post happy tonight. But I'm getting ready to take on the long process of restoring my newly acquired 1985 K5 and it has quite a bit of rust. Just wanted to know if anyone else has attempted a good amount of rust and came out with a success story~

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

This is what I have now...

[​IMG]

All that is left from when i bought it is the firewall/front footwell and the hood. Which reminds me I should replace the hood one day...:crazy:

Rene

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Bad rust in the rockers and rear 1/4s. I bought it for parts, then decided to fix it. I shougd have stuck w/ my 1st plan.

quater panel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rocker:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

After the after (as in several trail rides), this is the other side but it looked the same. Welded in 4x4 square tube to replace the rocker and mising floor, and some sheetmetal to cover the hole, bolted on a brand new fender, and opened up the rear wheel arch.

[​IMG]

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What is this "rust" that you speak of?........

:p:

6. titus95

titus95 Registered Member

Wow!!
    At least I have hope now and know that my Blazer is not out of the question for being fixed! I knew she was rusty and thought it would be a lost cause but I'm going to go through with it. (Back Quarter panels, Rockers, Front Rear Quarters, Tailgate, bottom half of doors). "tRustyK5"--I really like the rockers on yours...how did you do them like that?

7. tRustyK5

I initiallly replaced the rockers with new ones when I did the rust repair...then cut them completely out and welded in 3x3 x .125" wall box tube. I've landed on them hard, pivoted the truck on them and can lift the whole one side of the truck off the groundwith a hi-lift under them...plus they won't rust near as fast as 24 guage.

[​IMG]

Here you can see how they're welded to the body, and you can also see the splice weld where I welded the rear half of a '73 to the front half of my truck.

Rene

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Be careful my friend, us rustbelt dwellers can cast an oxidation spell in your neighborhood with a simple wave of the brown wand....it spreads like a bad virus, park one rotted vehicle near you and your infected... :D

9. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They talked about doing this on UK10 in Petersen's too. Do you just weld the square tube to the body, or does it get attached to the frame somehow also? The frame is quite a way in there, but it seems strange to support the weight of the truck by the body?

10. 85mudblazin

No it doesnt go to the frame but it gets welded to the body and the main part which is the body support pieces that run to the body mounts. This makes them very strong.
    I used 3x3x3/16" and I wish I had went with 1/4" as I have a few dents and deep scrapes in mine.

11. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Would someone mind posting a pic of the underneath? I might want to do this when my rockers rot off again. ;)

12. tRustyK5

When welded to the body they spread the impact load along their entire length. Supports back to the frame would be good for 'side impact'...

On the underside you will see the two body mount sheet metal box sections. They end at the back side of the stock rocker. I butted the tubing up against the body mount assembly, welded to the body mounts and along the body on the outside.

Spend any more than two minutes under your truck and it'll become painfully obvious. :wink1:

Rene

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i just ripped the body off(literally) and put a new one on.mine was beyond repair. :laugh: you could open the door and stand behind the steering wheel. :haha:

14. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I was looking at cutting my k5 right across from the rockers for rock sliders. I was looking at pics of this and the door overhands over the rock sliders. It looks kind of out of place seeing the fenders and quarter panels are cut aswell. I am currently getting the metal together to do this and was wondering if anyone ran into this problem and can you just cut the bottom off the door.

15. k30bb468

k30bb468 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here's my first attempt at some rust repair

truck15aug04 002 (Small) (Small).jpg

truck15aug04 001 (Small).jpg

truck15aug04 008 (Small).jpg

truck14 sept 04 002 (Small).jpg

16. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

The rockers on the crew cab were completely gone. I did the rectangular tube rockers. Lots of welding.

I should add, to get all of the rust or enough to make it worth while the tubes had to go in quite a ways and high! Now I have to go back and trim 3/4" off the bottom of all the doors to get them to close.

17. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

looks great, mine was way to gone. the body pulled off with my friends truck like it was un bolted. :laugh: :laugh:

18. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This is some outstanding work. Very impresive. You make it look so easy but I sure it is not.

19. 85mudblazin

Thanks.
    Here is what he ended up doing for it. He spray lined the entire thing, turned out sweet looking.
    PICS

20. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

:haha: Yeah, well we've got smog...... :doah: