Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the pan that sits behind the oil pan?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by m1ndless, Mar 5, 2007.

1. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I was changing my oil today,and whatever the pan is that is just behind that is leaking oil or something, each screw is covered in wet oil and the pan itself is also covered in oil.

I just bought this truck and started getting into cars and how they work, so I am a big noob, but give me a break :)

Any Ideas how to stop the leak-age?

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

from front to back,,,,,oil pan,,,,torque convertor cover, and then trans pan

3. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Well its definetly not the oil pan, its about 5 inches back from the oil pan and its square about 12 inches long maybe? I might just have to take a pic of it?

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Based on your description I'm gonna assume it your tranny pan. What tranny/TC combo is in your truck?

Chances are you need a new tranny pan gasket. Is the leak coming from around the pan, or can it be traced to somewhere further up on the tranny body itself? What color is the fluid?

5. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

It looks like just dark brown / black liquid, almost like motor oil. Its all over the bottom of the pan and the screws and such. I cleaned it up a little but its still dripping slowly. I will just have to get back under and investigate.

6. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

its your tranny pan, take it to a pro, not something a noob should mess with, while its dropped put a new filter in it, sealing a tranny pan is a pita even for a diy wheeler(atleast for me i like crankin the bolts lol) and if it starts to leak again they should fix it for free

7. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Ill have my mechanic check it out when he puts in my lift on friday. Thanks!

8. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yep sounds like the trans pan.....does it have 4 screws or 13-17 bolts holding it on. If the latter its the trans, and if the color of the fluid is brown, not good. check the dipstick to see what color that is. It should be a bright red color. If its brown change it immediately, and if its black and stinks, its just a matter of short time before your into a rebuild. If your unsure about doing it yourself, have someone do it for you that has done a least a few of them. Buy a good gasket, like the cork/rubber combo gasket.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

well, if it's brown, it could just be oil from the engine blowing back on the trans pan, leaky oil pan gasket or rear main seal...you can usually tell if the trans pan is leaking though, not hard to tell them apart.:crazy:

10. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Get a sample of the fluid in a bag or container .. take it to a shop and ask what the fluid is? Maybe they can examine it, tell you what it is before you go changing fluids and gaskets just to have it continue. They can also probably tell you if anything is wrong from excessive ammounts of metal in the fluid.

Just my .02..

But before you do anything at all, goto the spot where your seeing the leak, run your clean finger or gloved finger upwards and try and trace where its coming from.

Any chance of pics?

11. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

And they will get a good chuckle for years to come. :laugh:

It's the trans just do filter and fluid change and it gets new seal. :D

12. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

A good chuckle?
    Shh... Theres millions more worse off than he is.
    I witnessed while working at an autoshop(not fixing, cleaning) some women come running in yelling "My car is bleeding!!!!".. I dont think asking what type of fluid something is will get too much backlash, lol..

13. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm w/ 4xcrazy...my truck does the same thing...my rear main is leaking and so the oil drips down and is blown back once it gets to the bottom of the torque converter cover and lands on everything behind it...including the transmission pan.
    Oh and I don't agree that he needs to pay someone else to do it...I pulled the pan, changed the filter and fluid on my tranny...and have never had any problems.
    Its not that big of a deal...just a little messy is all.

14. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Oh a bit of advice when pulling pan..
    Have a wide, not skinny bucket under it.. I ended up with a facefull when doing mine. Losen all of the bolts about half way and start taking them out on one side or one corner, keep a hand under the pan so the oil draining will be more controllable. (next rebuild you bet your chickens im getting a pan with a drain plug)

15. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yes sir...I had a bucket the same size as the chlorine tablets for your pool comes in under my truck...lets just say we had a dead spot in the grass for a while ;)

16. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Yes, drain plug is very nice. Although, I've tried sealing and resealing my pan and it still leaks. Pan might be warped or something.

One good thing for you would be, if you have the time (and if your mechanic will let you), is sit in on the repair process. Not only will you get a professional job done to your truck, you will, in a way, get a professional education on the task. Again, if your mechanic will let you, some of them won't. I had an old mechanic show me how to change gaskets on my old camaro that I had and that helps me change the ones on my truck (even though they won't seal very good, it's the pan's fault I swear :rolleyes: )

17. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

I assume it's a THM350. Drain it pull the pan. Replace the filter. Clean the pan flip it over so the sealing surface is on the work bench. Place the ball of a ballpeen hammer over each hole and hit the ballpeen hammer with another hammer until the holes on the sealing surface side are slightly convex. Install a new gasket torque into place and fill. I always used type F fluid on my THM350 with good results, some people would argue differently.

18. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Alright guys I checked it out, its definetly not tranny fluid, I cleaned it up, my oil pan was leaking a little but and was just kinda flying back at my tranny pan, I cleaned it up real good and it hasnt really leaked since.

What a relieF!!!

19. 76zimmer

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Noob mistake.....

I did the same thing my first time.....and my hair didn't quite soak it all up.

20. 76zimmer

It probably will again, did you tighten the oil pan bolts? just snug them up, or you'll squish the gasket out, and have a real good leak