Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the point of 'wristing' a front axle??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, May 7, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

What is the point of \'wristing\' a front axle??

CLICK HERE for a write up on a bronco front end.

Someone help me out here - why?

-- Mike

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Re: What is the point of \'wristing\' a front axle??

Wow. Never seen that before. I have seen people on the Fords run a wristed radius arm, but never the front axle. My friend has a wristed arm on his early Bronc and it makes a WORLD of difference in the front suspension travel!

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

The stock Bronco radius arms act like a big "swaybar" when the front axle articulates. The "wristed" stuff stops the binding....

Marv

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It seems that on a radius arm suspension such as on the EBs, that would free up alot of flex. The way the radius arms attach to the axle, when the axle is flexed the radius armas are trying to twist the housing in two different directions, so by wristing it you free up alot of bind. Neat idea. It would be useless on a leaf sprung and marginally useful on a multi link suspension, but for that type of suspension it's a great idea. </font>

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I saw that guy with his setup at last years offroad expo and when I asked him "why not just go to 4 link?" he couldn't give me an answer. Also take a minute and think about what will happen to the steering geometry from one side to the other... one side will try to turn left/right, while the other will try to lay over on its side. What will the tie rod have to say about that??? Just thinking out loud /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Ill get the low-down from him at our meeting on monday and let ya know the real deal.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

As stated above, it frees up the bind in the stock front suspension. As to whether it would have "twist toe", yes it would, but you'll be going slow enough most of the time when there's enough toe change to wonder about that I doubt it would be an issue.

Under an EB is kind of cramped. Room to do a 3 or 4 link is not easily found. And what would you gain ? Only advantage I can see is better control of the Castor curve. Krawler folks don't seem to be too worried about that and the radius arm design works pefectly well for all but speed in the rough, ala dez racing, when properly modified for the lift used.