Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is the prefered tool

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Citizen Rider, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Im hacking my fenders this weekend. After searching ive found that people have used sawzall, jigsaw, 7" grinder, angle grinder....

I may end up at harbor frieght getting their sawzall or jigaw they have on sale right now.

But i would like to get what will cut the cleanest, not take a full day to make a couple cuts, and fairly easy to control where it is going...

Thanks in advance....

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I like using a cut off wheel in a air powered die grinder. I cut a bunch of welds with one to take off this contraption the PO welded on.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I used a 4.5" angle grinder for the skin and a sawzall for the inner structure as well as the grinder with a cut off wheel. I also do not have any inner fenders on the front.

There are pics in my gallery the line is not that straight cause I suck I recommend using a template that way all of the opening have the same proportions.

Ira

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Cut off wheels are awesome. Very clean and precise cuts.

5. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Used a cut-off wheel to cut the fenders before touching it up with a 4.5" grinder that only cost like $10 from harbor freight. I did use a sawzall for the inner fenderwells in the front. My advice would be to draw it on first to make sure both sides look similar, get it good and go to town. Good luck.
    -Kell-

6. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

Bar NONE! Hands down the cleanest cut U can get is with air shears!!! If U tape out the cut 1st, and cut through the tape it will not even chip the paint!!

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Harbor Freight Sawzalls are JUNK. I snapped one in about 5 minutes on GM body metal.

I have used grinders and sawzalls. Sawzalls work fine just make sure that you use high TPI blades. 24 or 28 TPI. Anything less then 24 TPI catches on thin metal and makes ragged cuts and rips the teeth off blades quickly.

The tape is a good trick to use to keep paint cleaner and to act as a guide to cut on the line. Grinders work well on the exterior stuff and sawzalls work great for heavier interior metal.

Harley

8. SICNICK

SICNICK Registered Member

Cut off/angle grinder and sawzall together is the HOT setup (that is what I used:D ), got situations where either is better...Use tape or the end or your sawzall, where the blade comes in and out, will scratch your fenders. Happened to me:mad:

For example, if your trimming two inches, put FOUR inches of tape all the way around, then draw your line on that, and Hack away!

9. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I was in a bad mood the other day, and had a sawzall, cutoff wheel, and happer laying around. I took my anger out on the fenders... Did it all in about 30 minutes.. Quite liberating... They look like crap, but that's all the more better to me. Adds character, and if I can ever get it running right, I won't have ANY hangups about beating the piss out of the body. I would snap a pic, but I'm too embarrassed... I mean, it looks pretty bad :wink1:
    thanks,
    James

10. 468k5

468k5 1/2 ton status

I cut mine with a saw-zall then roll the edge with a hammer to make it look a bit cleaner. Gets rid of the sharp endge and gives it a more factory look,

11. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

:haha::haha::haha:
    you da man!