Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is the problem with my 4WD

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Nov 9, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

man - I've had so much stuff go wrong with this k5 it's really starting to make me /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

anybody who's be around awhile knows what kind of problem (and how many) I've had with this K5 I got from mudfreak.

well - here's the latest part to the saga. I got the new yoke in (cuz the other one had been ground out to accomodate a 1350 u-joint, but didn't have retainer clips, or any other way to keep the u-joint in place (not to mention it was unbalanced).

well that took care of most of the driveline vibrations (100% unless I'm going up a hill, or other odd times. assuming I didn't get the pre-load correct, but that's another subject).

well - I was going over the mountain last night (and I mean mountain), and lost my 4WD in the middle of a snow storm. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif had terrible visibility to. well - coming home I got off the mountain, but drove home in over 8" of snow, and terrible visibility (at least it was just the last 48 miles, and wasn't on the mountain). well - I tried 4-Lo (didn't have the visibility to go faster), and figure out it worked.

sometimes when I shift into 4-Hi it will engage, and then stop working if less then a 1/4 of a mile. when it stops working it is just free wheeling, the rest of the time it just keeps free-wheeling.

when I try to shift into 2Hi I can't, it just grinds. this is even if I'm at a complete stop, and in nuetral, or park (700r4). on those rare occasions I can get it into 2Hi the tranny then the tranny still spins for a minute before hooking up (you know - like when your not at a complete stop & you force it into park - feels / sounds the same).

I have no idea what the problem is, or where to start looking.

I'm about to put a couple of sticks of dynamite under the thing, or drive it off a cliff! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I don't think I have enough /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif in this post! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sorry to hear even more grief with the truck you got from Mudfreak...at least it was nice looking/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Most T-case shifting probs are caused by shifters needing adjusting, or bad tranny mounts. If that doesn't fix it there are a few things internally it may be. A friend of mine had a 241 that was acting weird. Turns out he had tried shifting from high to low range while moving/under power and stripped some teeth off the range collar.

Rene

3. solowookie

I'm half tempted to give it some somebody else to fix... I'm tired of working on it. I haven't hardly driven the thing in the last year because I haven't been able to afford any work on it, or been able to afford driving further then 20 miles. we've just been sucking it up.

yes it does look nice, but you know what they say; beauty is only skin deep. well this thing proves it.

so check the linkage or the mounts? what should I check about the mounts? if it's internal I'm definitely now fixing it.

right now I'm pretty pissed because of how dangerous the yoke was. I had no clue it was a problem, or the main problem behind my vibrations. let alone the fact that nothing was really holding the drive shaft where it should be...

now that I've got your attention Rene - could a wrong pre-load be causing the rest of my minor vibrations?

4. tRustyK5

To check the mounts get a big pry bar and see if the tranny/t-case can be lifted off the cross member. If so you have a separated mount...which is an easy fix.

If the mount is good try disconnecting the linkage from the T-case and manually move it range by range and try the truck out. If you can get all the ranges correctly without the shifter than the linkage is in need of adjusting. This is also an easy fix, but you need the correct procedure from a Haynes or Chiltons...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    yes it does look nice, but you know what they say

[/ QUOTE ]

3 dressed up as a 9?

could a wrong pre-load be causing the rest of my minor vibrations?

[/ QUOTE ]

When are you getting vibes? Lift? Pre-load on ???

Rene

5. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Registered Member

I've got the same problem, but mine is no 4lo. I took the thing apart and thought I fixed it then put it back together and still no 4lo. Somebody hooked me up with tRustyK5 and he told me what to look at. Turns out the teeth on my range collar and my input gear were worn from not fully engaging. Bought some used parts from someone on this site and I'm waiting for the old mailman to bring them to me now. So far it has not been a hard job. Of course I put it back together once and it didn't work, so who knows. Both of these parts are known weak links in the np241 case. Good luck. Justin

6. solowookie

the vibes happen under load... really only notice it when accellerating hard, or going up a mountain. rest of the time it doesn't seem to exist.

7. tRustyK5

Vibes are tough to pinpoint Jeff. What pre-load were you concerned with?

Driveline vibes due to bad angle are pretty consistant. How are the front axle U-joints? The ones on our XJ are pretty bad and they cause a vibration...

Rene

8. tRustyK5

Somebody hooked me up with tRustyK5

[/ QUOTE ]

I know which somebody you're talking about/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif That diagnosis took us quite a while. The downside was all the unnecessary stuff he fixed before we figured it out/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rene

9. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

the ole mail man should be there on wednesday /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, as for the vibes, mine does it to only in reverse under load, or coasting down a hill, and it is my shredded motor mounts, you may want to check those while your under there with the pry bar. if you need any 241 parts i still have a few left
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. tRustyK5

I still have a range collar and planetary sitting next to my computer...both in great shape/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

11. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I've got a broken 208 (the case broke) sitting in my garage right now. If anybody needs parts off of it PM me.

12. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Worn transmission or motor mounts might be causing the vibration. When under load the engine/trans/case are twisting more and probably raising up throwing the ujoint angle off. Add axle wrap to that and there is quite a bit of difference.

Last night I was driving my truck and would hear a loud pop when I would accelerate hard. It turned out that my trans. mounts are loose and the t-case is hitting the floor.

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Boy, Jeff, sounds like my rig. The endless repair highway to the poor house. As a matter of fact... </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the vibes happen under load... really only notice it when accellerating hard, or going up a mountain. rest of the time it doesn't seem to exist.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm looking for the same problem. Minor vibration when starting out, up to about 25-30MPH, but nothing at speed. The only things I haven't fixed yet or looked at yet is trans case, tranny and driveline. So, of course, I'm just gonna thorw MORE money into it and see what's up. Going to have it looked at this week. If you haven't solved yours by then, I'll let you know what I find out from driveline shop guys (I'll ask your questions too).

14. solowookie

thank's Pam...

15. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

No prob. Hang in there. In for a penny in for a pound...uhhh, 2 pounds....OK all the pounds ya got!!!

I figure at some point I'll get a break with my POS, and maybe one day it won't be a POS. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. solowookie

yea - well so far on this k5 the followng parts have been untouched (including wiring). all of the rest have been repair, rebuilt, replaces, or rewired.

the starter, power steering pump, the drivers side window motor, the rear window power motor, and the paint.

oh yea, and did I mention that the paint has a couple rust spots underneath that are rusting through, and will require patches?

17. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Well Jeff, ya got me beat. Haven't had to do anything inside the engine block, tranny or tansfer case. Did seals, replaced or repaired every part attached to the block tho, and had some stuff on the block welded. Replaced intake and exhaust manifolds too.

Bet my rust beats your rust tho. I'm getting the rockers just cut out and putting in rockers from bentandtwisted. But still have cancer on the cab, quarters rusted thru around wheel wells in 3 places, already fixed the truck bed with POR 15 and Linex. Other rust through or cancer around needs to be fixed and going to have to replace the hood, inner and outer fenders. Oh, and all the weatherstripping.

And all the stuff you've mentioned not having to fix, I have fixed. Including extensive wiring, which isn't done. So I get bonus commiseration points because I've spent innumerable hours chasing a battery drain and still don't have a definitive answer. I put in a battery disconnect and called it a day for a while.

And, for your commiseration consideration, I've had 4 starters put in and 3 alternators put in, inside of a year. Oh and a 2nd Red top Optima, cuz a new but defective alternator fried it.

And did I mention I had to stay in Barstow CA for 3 days too?

God, if we lived closer to each other, we could be in the news... "In seemingly related incidents, 2 young American hopefuls plunged off the steep cliffs of Palos Verde in Southern California into the Pacific Ocean today, driving what appeared to be from the small bits of wreckage found at the site, old model Blazers. Witnesses said that they heard each driver shout 'I hate this POS!!!!' before plunging the 100 feet to the bottom. Police, believing the 2 incidents tied together, are seeking the seller of the 2 Blazers for questioning." /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

OK, Jeff, over to you! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif