Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is the redline for a 6.2 diesel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lm580c, Mar 23, 2005.

1. lm580c

lm580c Registered Member

i have a 6.2 diesel in my rig. i was wondering what the redline is. also on a 40 degree day if my rig has been sitting for an hour or so, it will start with ease but seem to idle low and miss on one cylinder. smoke comes from one tail pipe. (ive got true dual exhaust). it never smokes excessively under a load, but my mileage has fallen from a consistant 17.5 to 18 city to 15 to 16 mpg. maybe its time for another injector rebuild, or age is taking its toll. what is the life expentacy of a 6.2 diesel?

2. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

3800 i belive

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It doesn't really have a redline, it is goverened to 3600 rpm though. It'll run at that rpm all day if you want it to (or for as long as you can stand to listen to it at 3600 rpm)

You might have a near dead injector. www.accuratediesel.com sells rebuilt injectors and pumps...and the prices are very reasonable.

Everything I've heard says a 6.2 if maintained should reach 300,000 miles without too much trouble. Of course there are many variables...my 6.2 currently has 230,000 on it and still runs strong.

HTH

Rene

4. lm580c

lm580c Registered Member

i also have 230,000 miles on mine. and it only seems to miss on one when its cold, when its warms after a minute or so it purrs like a kitten. hopefully its just an injector dumping fuel and not a compression problem. its only been 70,000 miles sence i had all the injectors rebuilt. is there a better brand of glow plugs than autolites ? and is there a trick to getting them out. the carbon build up can be quite an hassle sence my diesel is in a conversion van.

5. tRustyK5

The best glow plugs I know of are the Kennedy diesel "Quick heats". The tips won't swell and the time to glow is much shorter. IIRC they're warranteed for 2 years and run about $80 for a set.

Mine misses on one or two cylinders when cold too, then smooths out. I have 2 or 3 dead glow plugs though.

Rene

6. lm580c

lm580c Registered Member

where do i get kennedy diesel glow plugs ??

7. tRustyK5

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Mine's the same way too...

My 82 6.2 sounds like it misfires sometimes at idle,especially right after a cold start--I attribute this to the dead glow plug I cant get out of the frontmost cylinder on the passenger side--I think thats why the right side tailpipe smokes more when its cold too--probably takes a few minites for that cylinder to heat up and properly fire the fuel...at least I hope thats why,I dont have any money for injectors,or the expensive steel lines that will likely break if I disturb them...I havent put many miles on it in the year or so I've owned it,havent changed the fuel filter either:blush: --I would not doubt if the fuel is stale,or has some water in it...

My motor is a junkyard refugee the previous owner installed,then gave up on when he could not get it started!--he claimed it had 80,000 miles,but I think its got more than that on it--maybe a LOT more!:blush: --but it runs decent enough,I'm happy with it so far..

.I have AC G60 glow plugs in mine,got them at autozone,7.99 each(ouch)--dont know how many still work,its started up all winter without plugging it in on 7 of them,but they are already so rusty they look like they've been it it for 10 years:mad: --if I get new ones when theese crap out,I'm not buying AC's-- or Champions either--it had several Champions in it that appeared fresh out of the box,but were dead as doornails.

.I have a manual switch on my glowplugs,and I have to leave them on for what seems like a rather long time when its real cold,,(10-20 seconds)but it always starts up ..:crazy: