Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the safest length camp trailer I can pull with my K5??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shane74, Oct 15, 2002.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have gathered from previous posts that 20' is the max, but I am curious if it will make any difference whether it is a tandem axle or not?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Length isn't as big a deal as weight. My old travel trailer was a 22ft lightweight that weighed in fully loaded at around 3500 lbs. I personally wouldn't tow anything more than 5000lbs with my K5.

I would also strongly advise you to avoid choosing a longer single axle travel trailer with a Blazer. Single axle trailers have a tendancy to sway, and the short wheebase of a K5 isn't enough to compensate for trailer sway.

Regardless of what you choose, make sure you spend the money and buy a good quality weight-distribution hitch. This type of hitch "spreads" the weight across all the axles and keeps the necessary weight on the front end which is important on a short wheelbase vehicle.

I would also recommend you pick up a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller- it's the best controller on the market.

Hope all this rambling helps, brother!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Exactly /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I pull a 21ft trailer popup camper and i keep it at or below 65 to componsate for its squirrely ness above 65....it also has trailer brakes so that helps...the more trailer axles the better stability wise....also a wieght distributing hitch as mentioned is extrememly helpful

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

or a Tekonsha Prodigy. I love mine!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. vdubbin86

vdubbin86 Registered Member

I pull a 22' tandem axle with mine. Has a gvwr of 5600lbs and a dry weight of 3600. With a wight distributing hitch I have no troubles with sway. I only get a little pull to the side if a tractor trailer blows by me.

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I already have a weight-distribution hitch. I love that thing! Yes, tandem axle with brakes are an absolute must. I was mainly concerned about weight/length. I don't like to tow much over 4500 lbs with mine, so 5000 or less is in the area I was thinking. I found a newer 19' tandem axle set up that weighs in around 3500# I used to tow my 19' boat, but it would get a little squirrely at times. Then again, I didn't have my weight distribution hitch at the time and it was a single axle trailer. I just want to be on the safe side is all.

Thanks for the education guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif