Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the safest way to elevate the entire truck. Jack Stands?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by StonerK5, Mar 14, 2002.

1. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Our trucks are soo heavy, what is the safest way (in the driveway) to get the truck up (all 4 tires off the ground) and be able to work under it. I was thinking of getting four 12 ton jack stands. and support the frame. But damn if I need that truck to fall on me!
    Basically how safe are these high quality jack stands

Thanks for any info.
    Chris

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

That's exactly how I did the axle swaps on mine. Make sure the ground is fairly level. I found some 12 ton stands on sale and bough 4 pair. You can never have enough. You still need to be careful if you are beating around on the thing. When I did mine, I raised it up took the tires off of it and lowered it back down some. This kept the overall height of the truck down and made me feel a lot safer.

3. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

Napa has HUGE 12 Toners, but they are WAY overkill. I have a set of 4 Napa 6 Toners, and they work fine. the only way your going to get big lift with jackstands is get 12 ton ones. But trust me they are HUGE. I think i paid 40 something for 2 6 ton from NAPA.

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Oh yea, make sure that you put the stands as far to the ends of the truck as is possible. This will prevent possible tipping should something happen. Ask me how I know that one /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Kyle89K5, sounds like a tale for the garage!

I think how high you wanna go has something to do with it. The 6 ton stands reach I beleive 24 inches. With a 6" lift, 6 ton stands can keep the rotors and drums in the air.

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Maybe a little David copperfield .......... seriously, jack stands, floor jack, both ,.......... what ever it takes to make it sturdy. I like the lowering it down a bit idea, it doesn't need to be that high while working under it.

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have 6 ton stands and 2 3 ton jacks if I need to get the whole thing in the air.

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Nothing gets yer heart pumping faster than a wild ride like that one. Maybe one of thesse days when I don't get the shakes just thinking about it, I'll tell a little. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

9. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

crane!
    seriously though ive found that big ass logs on end (really wide in respect to thier hight) are more stable and cheaper than jackstands.

10. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

The only draw back about that is they occupy too much room under the truck.

Someone should mention don't EVER use cynder blocks to support your truck. Especially if you're gonna be under it. They can crumble and, well, you know...things could get ugly.

11. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I had some 6 ton ones under the rear of my k5 while rotating the tires around, I took off the drivers side rear tire and found my shock wasnt stable so i started to take it off, I decided to quit for the night and began to lower the floor jack and my lab crawled under the k5 and started wagging his tail and knocked the stand over. I was on my hands and knees and got him out and all of the sudden before i could get the stand up the whole k5 came down and damn near smashed my face, I was about 4 inches away from smashed. It was quite a rush. I would suggest putting somestands on one level and hold it up then go down a level with a few more jackstandsfor like a plan "B". I also have used cut up I beams The hold the vehicles up very well. I also have the floor jacks up every time i put the stands under it.