Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the secret of a manual tranny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chaz88K5, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Ok last night i thought i was goin to go insane....i fought the tranny for about 5 hours last night trying to install it...i coulent get the pilot bushing lined up.....what is the secret for gettin this thing in there...i have pushed, pulled, shook, jacked and still nothin...i am out of ideas...what do i need to do now? someone help! [​IMG]

<font color=green>Chaz</font color=green>

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Look in the Blazers for sale page!! my 72 needs to go!</font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The secret is that it must be perfectly lined up or it will not go in...it's pretty easy to have the tranny at a slight side to side angle. The pilot bushing doesn't have enough 'slop' to allow you to wiggle the tranny into place. Get it lined up perfectly and gently slide it home. My SM465 was a real PITA too.
    One trick I saw was to use some 4" long bolts through the bellhousing and into the block to act as alignment dowels...one on each side and tightened into the block. I was about to try that myself when mine slid right in.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by tRustyK5 on 11/16/01 08:35 AM.</FONT></P>

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Also did you use the clutch alignment tool when you installed the clutch if not it will deal you fits.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

In addition to using the clutch alignment tool (properly), it helps to leave the tranny in gear, that way you can rotate the input to line up the splines by turning the output.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well last night i did have a alignment tool...i also ended up pullin the transfer case off because i fell off tha jack a few times and was really unstable...so i get to fight with that part later....

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Look in the Blazers for sale page!! my 72 needs to go!</font color=blue> [​IMG]

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

when it gets real close but wont line up,
    i have had good luck with depressing the clutch.

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

oh i dident try that....i will try that tonight and see what happens...thanks!

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Once you get the tranny in, the t-case is a piece of cake. I always seperate the trans/t-case when removing/installing. Nice thing about the aluminum t-cases, you can hold them in place with one hand and thread the bolts in with the other. Unless you have a real nice tranny jack, I wouldn't bother using one with the t-case. I just pick it up and stuff it in. They are easy to line up, since you're not fighting two things at once. Not sure how much the SM 465 weighs, but I'm sure its not light. I know my 4500 was a heavy MF.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The SM465 is prolly 150+lbs...and i know the NV4500 is about 200lbs.
    I installed my Sm465 and NP205 together...but I don't recomend it[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

10. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Ditto 77Chev. Sometimes you have to disengage the clutch to get it all the way on.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

11. tlarsw

tlarsw 1/2 ton status

I'm running the NV4500 and ORD Gen 2 doubler and I put them up together! I bolted the bellhousing to the motor first and then pushed in the trany/xfer combo.

I used two trany jacks. One under the NV4500 and one under the 205 crossmember.

Key is to make sure the they are lined up perfectly and the front (mating surface) of the trany and back (mating surface) of the bellhousing must be parallel to each other.

Piece of cake!

1986 K10 TPI350/NV4500/Gen2 Doubler/D60(ARB)/14FF(Detroit)/4.56 gears

12. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Wow, two tranny jacks! My broke arse can't even afford one. Sure would be handy, though, my brother and I did my NV with a floor jack. I haven't had the trans out of the Blazer for a while (700R), but I've generally used the gut-jack method to remove it, then balance it on the floor jack to put it back in.

Pete

13. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

hey you got the set up i'm going for. [​IMG]

wow 150 lbs. and that sucker hurts to drop off the jack and land on your hand.

14. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Go to a tranny shop and get an old input shaft that matches your clutch and tranny. I've found they fit a little tighter than the plastic alignment tools. Another hint that helps-If you have trouble with a floor jack, wrap a chain or strap around your tranny and run the chain through the shifter hole in your floor. Then put your engine hoist through the passinger's door and use that to lift and lower the tranny. That way you don't have the floorjack in your way and the chain lets you swing the tranny around without it falling. Plus it works for trucks too tall for a floorjack.

15. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i had the same prob, the guy at pep girls gave me the wrong pilot bearing, if there is any way you can check it i would do that first, i used the clutch alignment tool to check it. if it is wrong it's real "fun" to get it out

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

16. Cerote

Cerote Registered Member

The problem I had when re-installing my 465 was with the throwout bearing. The groove on the inside of it kept getting hung up on the tranny's bearing retainer "snout". An hour later, after re-checking the disc alignment twice, we figured it out. We had to "massage" the release fork to get the bearing to slide back on the "snout".

I H8 POSER TRUCKS!!!
    '86 K-5, 305cid, SM465, 31" BFG A/T...

17. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

it must be your first time. i remember my first time, too. i thought i was going to break my shaft shoving it in there. sometimes it helps to use your fingers frist to see if there are any obstructions, it also gives you a feel of how things are down there.
    just make sure you got the right pilot bearing, you could be doing it all night and not get it all the way in if that happens.
    if it's correct go on to aligning it, use a flash light just to make sure the alignment tool is not in wrong.
    once aligned use your fingers or again the flash light to check for any obstructions.
    it's also a good idea to leave her in gear that way you can graber from behind and turn her a bit. that will help align the clutch with the 10spine shaft. once it's in it gets kinda tight from the back. you'll know when it slips in.
    just be patient and use some vasoline, i mean some grease. just don't use too much.

most of all have fun doing it. it' will be easier once you break'er in.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

18. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Gee I will gladly do a 465 any day.
    Waa.. Try doing a clutch in a Mack dump truck with an 18 spd tranny. 1200 lbs of get hung up on everything I hate these SOB's. LOL
    Imagine taking a tranny out the size of a VW bug in the space of a K5.
    465's are so.... little LOl
    Now there is the new automatic trannys in rigs and these mothers take two tranny jacks.
    Book time is usualy around 30 hrs and let me tell ya if you can do it in less than that you are the man.
    That is for a regular Mack clutch job.
    My best so far is 18 hrs.
    Worst 44 hrs
    Gez the clutch assy in a rig wieghs near what a 465 does. LOL:

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

19. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Imagine taking a tranny out the size of a VW bug in the space of a K5.

<hr></blockquote>

Does that mean I can fit one in my Dodge? [​IMG] Needs a couple more gears, but I think 18 would be pushin' it.

Pete

20. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Same as rusty - we installed it together.
    A tranny jack and the two of us trying to allign the s** in the freaking rain and cold.

You must align it perfectly.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </a>