Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the standard seat taper angle for lugnuts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Title says it all, I need to verify that the standard seat angle on Chevy truck lugnuts is 60 degrees. Thanks!</font>

2. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Evan, I just measured one on the comparator and 60 degrees is correct.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Excellent! Thanks a bunch, Bill. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Just to make sure that we're on the same page, that's the included angle, right? I'm sure that all tapers are measured the same, but I just have to verify...

[​IMG] </font>

4. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Evan, Yes it is 30 on a side or 60 included. Be careful if your going to cut tapers with a single fluted chamfer tool like you showed a picture of. They do not always cut the angle that they are ground for because they push away from the hole you are cutting. It is better to use a multi flute tool for this and it will cut equal on all sides.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> They push away from the hole? I would think that on something like this, since I'm rechamfering an existing chamfer that it would work fine, but I'm no expert. I got it from McMaster-Carr and there was a thing that said that the single fluted tools work better for handheld use, so that's the one I got. Hopefully it works OK, I'll try it out and if it does a crappy job then I'll have to get another one. I swear, the final days of this project are bleeding me dry. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif </font>

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It pushes away because it only cuts on one side. Whereas a 2 flute would cut evenly on both sides thus centering the cutter. Good luck with the hand drill method... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Great, I knew I shouldn't have bought the tool already. If I had a drill press or access to a mill then I would use one, but I am working with what I have here. </font>

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why don't you use pop in-laws mill? A 2 flute wouldn't be too bad with a hand drill but with a single it might be but! Since you already have a taper there it won't be near as hard since it will help center it. Just watch it and check the fit of the lug nut often. If it's wobbly don't go so far as to remove too much material making it impossible to clean up...

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Father in law's house is 150 miles away, otherwise I would go there. I'll just try it by hand and see what happens. </font>

10. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Evan, I thought that you were tapering new holes. If your just enlarging old holes with a taper already in them you will be fine if you go slow. The slower the RPM the better for this case. If your using a hand drill be sure to keep it vertical and don't push to hard or get in a hurry and you will be OK.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Cool, that's good to hear. My drill has a bubble level on the back of it so keeping the drill straight up should not be a problem,;and I always drill real slow with lots of cutting oil, so hopefully I won't kill the tool before all 32 holes are done. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif </font>

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Why don't you invest in a drill press? You don't need an expensive one. I paid $100 for mine.
    YOu would just need to make sure it would be tall enough so that you could set a wheel in there, obviously.
    They don't take up a lot of room. And would be much easier than hand drilling 32 holes!
    Just a thought.
    -- Mike

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If I had anywhere to put it then I would, but I don't, so I can't. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif My garage is pretty packed as it is, unfortunately.</font>