Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the tallest, skinniest 15" tire?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SilverMiner, Jul 20, 2006.

1. SilverMiner

SilverMiner Registered Member

Like the title says, I'm interested in finding the tallest, skinniest tire I can run on a 15x8 rim.

I know Interco makes a 35x10.50x15 in their SSR series, but I'd like to hear of some other options. Does anyone make a ~35" tire with a tread width less than 10"? I suspect there might be something in a metric, but I'm not sure what the magic combination of section width / aspect ratio to search for. If there are more options available in a 16" rim, I may consider that also, as I'm currently running 255/85R16's - but I'd sure like to go back to the classic Ralleye wheels.

So I'm sure you're wondering WHY DOES THIS IDIOT WANT TO RUN PIZZA CUTTERS ON A K5???

Well, in nearly 25 years of working in the Northern Rockies of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming I've learned that 90% of the time when 4WD is REQUIRED to get where I absolutely NEED to be (working in the mining industry), it's because there is snow or ice on the ground. And nothing beats a narrow tread width for those conditions, whether it's creeping down I-25 in a blizzard trying to make it to Casper or bombing up a narrow drill road after 12" of fresh snow has fallen.

Anyone else admit to having a tall/skinny fetish?

2. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i dont like the way they look, but fuction over form for u....when u put big tall skinny tires on ur truck, u have to drive around playing "she thinks my tractors sexy":D

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

4. Quackaddict

Quackaddict 1/2 ton status

I know Super Swamper Boggers come in 38.5-11. I also remember SS had a TSL that was 9.5 wide just don't remember how tall they were. Lifted Dually's have to run a skinny tire so yeah there are some out there..........or I could take 2 seconds and see the person above me already said all this..............hey it's late.

5. SilverMiner

Interco seems to be the leader in the tall/skinny market, no doubt. I'd forgotten about lifted Dually's - but that means a 16" rim, and for whatever reason I've got a strong urge to go back to the classic 15" Ralleye's.

6. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

the military tires are tall and skinny
    i have a set of 325/85 but they are 16.
    see if you can get ahold of the ralleye's in a 16

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

new ??

I had some old bias ply 9:00/15's I found on an old "P"series step van at a boneyard I ran on my 72 K5 for a few winters--they were THE best snow tires I'd had on any of my trucks!--tall and skinny is definately better in the snow than wide tires are..the 900:15's were about 31- 32" tall--they rode like steel tank treads,being bias ply with nylon cords!--but you could run curbs over and never hurt them!--they had an 8 ply rating!..

I tried using 700:750/19.5" tires on my 74 K20 ,that I got from another old 60's Step Van,a 1 ton duallie..but the rims hit the calipers,since they were designed for drum brakes..after buying spacers,I decided I didn't trust having them held on by only half the threads on the lugs,and I didn't feel it was worth trying to find longer wheel studs,so I ended up taking them off..the truck looked VERY aggressive with the 19.5's though--looked like I'd lifted it 4",without doing anything but put the tires and rims on it..they didn't rub either,and I only had a 3" body lift...I wished I had tried getting longer studs,but lack of funds prevented it..

I found some 6 lug 16.5" wheels after that,and ran 8.75 / 16.5 tires --they were only about 30" tall,but skinny..only about 6" wide!..
    I could outplow bigger trucks with big wide tires and lift kits--they would slide sideways,my truck went straight as an arrow..:D ..if I really wanted to show off,I'd put tire chains on all 4 tires..it was more like a bulldozer than a truck then!..:crazy:

8. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

http://intercotire.com/site32.php Dually tires-

34x9.50-15

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, those michelins are always thin for their height. Look at a 48" michelin vs a 49" irok (aka baloon!) sometime. :thumb:

j

10. peter redman

peter redman Registered Member

qr78-15 Buckshot Mudders.36 inch tall and skinny. I had them on a 87 GMC 3/4 ton and they worked great in the Ontario,Canada winters.Once I drove 2 miles to work before I realised I had a rear flat.

11. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

12. SilverMiner

Thanks for all the great links!

I think what I'll do in order to scratch my itch for the 15" Ralleye is run them with a set of 35x12.50-15's in the summer, and continue to use my 255/85R16's in the winter. I've already got an good set of chains for that size tire anyway, so it would probably make the most sense money wise.

Thanks again