Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the thing on the driverside head of my CUCV. with a pic now

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Apr 30, 2006.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Back on the head by the firewall is a something that wireing from the glow plugs plug into. What is it called and what does it do? I think it might be the reason my truck will not start. i tried everything else.........

thx

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  2. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:dunno: Maybe it´s the glowplugrelay or you maybe call it glowplugcontroller.
    "edit" sorry I read your other posts and they show that you already knew that.

3. 84CUCV

Here is a pic for you guys. the thing with the white top. thx

DSC02284.JPG

4. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

That is a temperature sensor. I'm not too familiar with the CUCV wiring, but it is either for your cold start solenoid in the injection pump, or it is for the glow plug controller. I doubt it would keep your truck from starting.

Mike

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Temp inhibit switch. Controls the cold advance as well as affects glow time if the motor is warm.

Rene

6. 84CUCV

So could it affect it when starting?

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Where does it plug into the IP? My truck has a gasser harness and if I could get that bitch hooked up that would be nice.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My bad, I just went and looked at mine and i have nothing plugged into the two pole sensor Mike pictured. I got it confused with the '84 down glow plug controller I have which looks similar except it has about 6 wires coming out of it. The dark green wire coming from there goes to the two other spade connectors on the IP, one does the cold advance and the other kicks the idle up a little IIRC.

Rene

9. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

Yes it could. If you're using the original cucv glow module, the switch can shorten or lengthen glow duration.
    A defective temperature switch shouldn't prevent a cold engine from starting though.

Reading your earlier postings, I'm wondering if your (new) glow plugs even do cycle on.:confused:
    During operation of the plugs you should have ALL of the following:
    - "wait" light comes on after you turned the key
    - a visible drop at the voltmeter
    - a klicking sound from the glow plug relay?

If not, have you tried rene's advice and ran 12v from the junction block to the relay? Don't connect it to the big junction block on the firewall right behind the rear battery, this are 24v! :doah:
    You should either use the small junction block behind the hydroboost or (better) run a heavier gauge from the + post of the front battery or the - post of the rear battery.

Maybe you could do some electrical measurements in comparison with your M1028?

Another thing you can do is to jump the relay. Connect a gauge with a 12v feed between the 2 large posts of the relay. You should hear a clicking sound. Have a helper start the engine after 10-15 seconds of jumping the relay. With all good plugs she should start like a charm . . .:wink1:

If this doesn't help, test your plugs again. I'm doing this by connecting one plug after another to a 12v battery (tip to +, thread to ground). A good plug glows in about 5 seconds from top to bottom. Use some pliers, these things are getting HOT!

Good luck.

Walter

10. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Is that a "on,off" style switch, as in can it be used to turn an electric fan on or off? It seems like it wouldnt work because it works the opposite of a fan switch, it turns on when the motor is cold and off when it is hot.

11. 84CUCV

I will see what happens and let you guys know. thx