Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is this noise?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rustbucket, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Registered Member

Hey all, I posted the other day about a clunk. I thought it was my slip joint on front drive shaft, but since I took it off and the clunk is still there I figure it's not the problem. The clunk is (I think) in the rear end. I can feel it through the whole truck. I popped the cover on the old 10 bolt and everything looks brand new. it's got 3.07 gears(yes, it's a powerhouse) and they seem to be in good shape. Could this be a u-joint? I've had them break, tick, and even explode but I've never had them clunk. I'm also having transfer case problems(pops out of 4low) but that only seems to affect low range. Could transfer problems affect 2hi operation, or is that just something else to suck money out of me? The truck is a 91 with a 350 and the np 245 case. I can really use the help. Thanks in advance.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Under what conditions does it clunk? When you put it in gear, when you get on it hard, reverse, coasting, braking...? </font color>

3. Rustbucket

My bad. It just clunks when going down the road. no certain speed or rpm. I can't make it do it, it just does it.

4. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Mine did this, it took me forever to figure it out. The rubber crossmember mount had rotted out under my t-case. It would only thump when I hit a bump or hard throttle. When the truck was parked everything looked normal. I only noticed it was when I was lowering my T-case and saw where it had been hitting the top of the tranny tunnel, right under the center console. Get a floor jack and try to jack your t-case up and see if it seperates from the crossmember.

5. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

My 84 K5 did that. It had the old cross member, Man It broke in like 3 places! I couldn't believe I had never noticed how rotted out it was. Definately check that. If that looks ok, remove the rear driveshaft if it looks &amp; feels tight. Drive it in 4wd, front and see if it goes away. That'll atleast tell you it may be the driveshaft slip yoke making noise...

6. Rustbucket

Hey I apprieciate(?) the input. I,m going to get back under it tomorrow night after work. I'd like to get it back together so i can go back to the woods. Thanks again

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey, brother. Fill out your profile so we know a little bit more about you. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Rustbucket

got it. I'm newer to this message board stuff than I am to four wheeling, it might take me awhile.

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Don't worry, brother. We were all new guys at one time!!!!

Welcome to CK5!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

hum i learn some thing new every time i log on. i guess its simple if you think about it. my man says it pops out of gear when wheeling... well with no rubber support it would allow the t case to hit the shifter lever off the floor board therefor knocking it out of 4 wheel low....right?