Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is this plug

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NoSmog73, Jan 13, 2004.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I know the one with the 2 prongs is nutral (s/p) but what is the other fitting for...almost looks like a speedo but I thought the speedo was in the TC..The fitting has a rubber outter with a "piece" that looks like the middle of a speedo..Any thoughts.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Was it originally a 2wd tranny? Maybe a later model 465. I know they put them in the 88up trucks until they switched to the 5 speed.

Whatever it is, thats one of the cleanest I've seen in a while /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

It came out of a 1970-72 blazer with the org 205 Where can I run the tranny #'s to see if the PO changed it maybe... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I suspect that may be involved in some sort of 70's spark advance setup, similar to what was on some TH350's. I would be willing to bet that whatever it is, tells something else when the transmission is in one particular gear.

A LATE 465 will have an aluminum top cover, FWIW, but even on those I don't think they used that switch.

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I suspect that may be involved in some sort of 70's spark advance setup, similar to what was on some TH350's. I would be willing to bet that whatever it is, tells something else when the transmission is in one particular gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, I've heard of that now that I think about it.. Could be what it is..

[ QUOTE ]

A LATE 465 will have an aluminum top cover, FWIW, but even on those I don't think they used that switch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have remembered that /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

6. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks guys..
    I think you are right on the spark control thingy..I took it out and there is a rod that moves under the switch that makes contact with the ball on the bottom of the switch and moves the ball up into the switch when contact is made..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And how is that for clean..Thanks again Scott
    [​IMG]

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

TCS system, for low and forward range, retards timing, yes they had that back then too

aluminum top were the NP435C and NP435CR trannies, another top loader tranny, cept built by NP, and also Warner made a top loader tranny also but i dont know if it was aluminum top or not, it was also optional for 67-72 years at minimum, i would have to look in GM sheets again to get model number and ratios

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    TCS system, for low and forward range, retards timing, yes they had that back then too

[/ QUOTE ]

hes right again

69k5

9. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys...
    Now, Does anyone know where I can run the tranny #'s to get the right year of this tranny...Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The later 465's had aluminum tops, after about '88 or so IIRC.

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Mike, I thought so said the tranny and T-case were a matched pair, if so the T-case was a 3-16-70 production if you forgot already.

12. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Reverse lamp switch ?