Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is this sensor for?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Jul 7, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Pulled out the engine about a week ago and noticed yesterday a sensor on the passenger side of the block that bolts to the coolant passage. The weird thing is that the wire coming out of it was just connected to one of the starter bolts. I doubt it was doing much good because when I pulled it out, no coolant came out since the block was so full of coolant residue (I had to poke a screwdriver through the hole to let the coolant come out). Anyway, what is this sensor and where is it supposed to connect? so that I can buy a new one and connect it correctly.

2. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

its the knock sensor . was it connected by the starter or did someone catch the wire and pinch it off when they put a starter in .

3. BayouBlazer88

it was wrapped around the end of the starter bolt (the part where you put your socket).

4. crazykev4x4

if it was my truck i would find the other part if the wire and repair it

Kevin /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

dont need to worry about it or the wire if ther eis no EST system left in the turck, IE emissions equipment for electronic controlled carb and electronically controlled advance HEI dizzy

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it's an '88, it's TBI. Fix the wire.

7. BayouBlazer88

I know I need to hook it up, but I don't know WHERE to hook it up to. I'll look for a loose wire around the top of the engine but does anyone know what color it is or where the other end might be? Thanks guys.

-Oh and just curious, what does a knock sensor do and what does the computer do when the sensor sends a signal to it? Also, if that's the knock sensor, then what sensor is on the driver side cylinder head between the #1 and #3 exhaust ports?

8. crazykev4x4

coolant temp sensor for the gauge /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

Kevin