Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is this stuff???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Derf00, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I am stripping my interior in preperation for Rhino Lining. Around the wheel wells there is a putty that appears to fill the cracks and joints. Is this the case, or is it actually used to hold the well in place? I am asking because I want to cut some of it out and smooth other parts.

2. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

pretty sure its seam sealer. It might have been done by the factory. Not sure if its common in the Blazers or not . There was none in mine when i got it. Should not be holding the the well in!!

3. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

It's seam sealer. the well bolts into place. That stuffs only there to seal it from water coming through

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, when i stripped my interior for the herculiner, there was that stuff at the seams of my wheel wells too. Its just seam sealer. The annoying thing about it is that GM guys really sloppily applied it, i had some of that crap up to 6" away from the actual seam... and had to putty-knife and grind it all off before the herc went on. No doubt the UAW guys figured it'd be under the carpet anyway, so why worry about it. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif At any rate, its not wht holds the wheel well in, it just keeps the elements out.

J

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Seam sealer. When I redid the interior, my underpadding was a smelly wet mess.................the illustrious union guys left one half of one side of the bed-to-floor pan with NO sealer...............must have ran out of a tube and said screw it.........../forums/images/icons/mad.gif