Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is this thing??????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by archer, Oct 15, 2000.

1. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I bought an 85 with a 305 and when I pulled the breather assembly the air filter was some type of small, metal mesh filter (no paper at all) and it is GLUED to the bottom of the breather. It looks like they used liquid nails. I've seen K&N's and other fancy filters, but this is something completely different. Does anybody have a clue as to what type of filter this is, and moreover, why it's so fantastic that you permanantly adhere it?!

"who dares wins"

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I've seen some like that you can get from Edelbrock, but I don't know of any advantages to it.

90K5

3. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

no, the pcv filter and crankcase filter are both in dyer need of replacement, this is the big donut filter around the carb. A very, very firmly planted, metal donut.

"who dares wins"

4. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

On my '86 there is a paper element that goes around the metal mesh. Check it out, maybe the previous owner didn't believe in filters and just left it out. Not a good idea in my opinion.

5. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

could be some kind of edlebrock, I'll bet you're right. There's no lettering or anything on it.

"who dares wins"

6. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

that's possible too Tom, What's left of this system is filthy though. I guess I'll pry it off and put a K&N in it.

"who dares wins"

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, I've seen one of those, just put a real air filter on around it and don't wory about it. I don't know what that's for. my TBI doesn't have one.

90K5

8. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

It's pretty funky, I'll see if I can get compressed air through it very easily and just get a new paper element to put around it.

"who dares wins"

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

it's just another one of GMs great idea's to protect the carb from stuff that gets by the air filter. just a screen filter. came out around 84 and ended in 86. you can leave it in. no biggie. just use a good air filter and life is good.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

10. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

apperantly the previous owner ran it exclusively for some time, The carb and the breather around it are clean, but the "inner-Filter" is beyond hope. So 5 minutes later and getting past bathtub caulk it's out. K&N here I come. Thanks guys!

"who dares wins"

11. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I had something like that, I had to use a bull prick to pop it off. It turned out to be a charcoal filter that set inside the regular paper filter.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah I had one of those big metal screen filters too. I guess it was'nt stock for the truck because mine is an 81. The paper element went around the steel mesh part on mine. Anyways I pitched it into the dumpster[​IMG] and bought an open element filter. This will also be going into the dumpster soon [​IMG] after being bathed in battery acid. My battery hold-down broke and the old Diehard ended up getting friendly with the alternator (doh!). I'm going to the wreckers and buying a complete filter assembly from a 87 and up TBI truck and routing some fresh cold outside air to the carb.

Rene

[​IMG]

13. bart

bart Registered Member

That metal -screen -thingy in the air cleaner is actually a Charcoal-filled element...used for emissions control purposes...

didn't anyone puncture theirs with a screwdriver when they ripped it out??/

Bart

14. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I just worked my way around the edge with a screwdriver and separated the bathtub caulk from under it. I guess I can still use it if I have to. I didn't damage it. I wonder if it'll run too lean now? hmmmmm.

"who dares wins"

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I'm pretty sure that it is intended to reduce evaporated gas from coming out of the carb when the vehicle is parked. I also wondered if it had some effect on fire retarding in case of a backfire or something.

Either way, it looked like a restriction to me. I figured that a big 'ol K&N is the only thing that needed to go inside the cleaner.

Anybody need an extra one of these?

They came from the factory "glued on" to the air cleaner.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700