Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is this? Tranny sensor?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by btolenti, Aug 9, 2005.

1. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Wondering what this is..... VSS???

DO some trucks have VSS on the tranny and then a speedo cable on the transfer case? Oh, it's on the passenger side of my 700R4. There is another
    4 pin on the driver side that I assume is the TC Lockup, per the painless manual.

My truck is an 86 Cali with CCC and all that good stuff.... :rotfl: :rotfl:

IM000858.JPG

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Well that is one of your pressure ports, so that must be a pressure switch. I'm not familiar with the CCC trucks (they were only sold in cali), but the computer must need to know when you are in a certain gear (4th?). There is generally a lockup sensor internally that controls EGR operation, but the CCC truck needs to do something else.

It is also possible that somebody made some modifications and added that switch. Some people use one to control the TCC so that it locks up whenever you are in 4th gear.

3. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

So, i am swapping an 87 TBI system into the truck....can I just run without this plugged in? I assume so....as long as I use a VSS adapter to trigger the lockup, right?

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if i look through manuals here i could find out the details

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm with Blue85. TCC connector is on the drivers side of the trans.

If going TBI, don't see why you'd need it.

VSS isn't solely for lockup, and no, it is always run at the t-case output shaft since system wants to know CORRECT speed whether in 2wd or 4wd. :)

VSS pre-'90 for the trucks (and most cars) is all cable drive at the speedo head anyways.

6. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I will just disconnect it and not worry about it.

I am wondering if this is a better place to install my tranny temp guage, rather than the driver side pressure port???