Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is this tree coming off my waterneck? tvs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mike83blazer, Jan 3, 2003.

1. mike83blazer

mike83blazer Registered Member

in the bottom of the pic , the tree coming off of the waterneck, does anyone know how this is wired inside? or what hooks up to what? i could get a vacumm pump and test it, but if anyone know that would make my life easier. i belive it is a thermal vacumm switch.?

[​IMG]

thanks
    Mike Pless

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You are correct, it is a thermal vacuum switch. Depending on the year of the truck makes a difference as to what goes where. From the looks in the pic you don't have any smog hooked up so it really doesn't matter. If you still have the original radiator cover there should be a sticker there that tells you how to hook up the TVS.

3. mike83blazer

i got my smog carb hooked back up and the sticker is missing. i do have a diagram on the air cleaner that the mechanic i took it too said was correct. however, on a normal 2port tvs, manifold vacumm goes it and a accessory plugs into the onther port. but this one is 5 ports so im just not sure what engages when it get hot. i was planning on running to a pick a part and finding one and opening it. to see what happends in there but i cant till a few days when i have time.

4. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

From the looks of it everything is hooked up i wouldnt worry about it!!! I unhooked min because it was broke and they are all pretty much useless!!

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You can tap those with a hammer and break them off. thats what I usually do if I've got one in the way.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just a simple "switch" that opens the other ports to vacuum based on coolant (engine) temp. Usually hooked to things like AIR, cannister purge, etc. If you don't have that stuff, no biggie, leave it, break it off, or replace the thermostat housing with the older style.

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Hey! I want my freakin' carb back! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif J/K. What is that, a street avenger 670? I've just got the shinney 600 4160. I see you've got the holley throttle bracket. What stud and where did you put it on the throttle linkage. I'm kinda thinking about getting that setup.

8. mike83blazer

street avenger? i have no clue.

0-80508 (4160)
    Legacy Series street performance carburetor. 750 CFM
    with vacuum secondaries and single 30cc accelerator
    pump. Includes chrome fuel line and electric choke.

and the chrome bracket that holds the throttle is from autozone for a few dollars.

9. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

I don't know the function of all five ports, but one of the important functions is to control the vacuum advance on your distributer. It keeps the vac. advance off until the engine warms up and can take it. You can probably plug other stuff, but keeping the vac advance routed through it will help with cold weather/cold engine performance.

10. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

On My 86 the TVS operates a sort of prewarming system for the engine. This is, of course, on a quadrajet. I would venture to guess that the carb you have does not have provisions for this type of system anyways. The way my systems works is that vacuum is applied to a canister on the exhaust manifold. This divertes warm exhaust gasses to the bottom of the carburator to help the engine warm up properly. Not have this thing operate sucks until the engine is warm, but you can live without it. Th problem I had was that the idiots at the parts store gave me the wrong one(but it looked exactly the same). The one they gave me worked backwards so it would cut out the exhaust when the engine warmed up, thus flooding out the engine, and really baffeling me for about 6 months. I no longer shop at ABC. I doubt this helps much, but I just thought I'd let you know.