Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is this worth???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chriskh, Oct 18, 2005.

1. chriskh

chriskh Registered Member

I could use some help here. Ok guys (and girls), Not too sure if anyone will remember this but a few months back I was given two '76 Blazers. I need to know how much this one is worth as I am thinking of trying to trade it for an older boat (I have no need for two Blazers). I looked on Kelly Blue Book and NADA but came up with nothing. Except for this... NADA has a classic & collectable section. I told me it was worth right at $3,000.00 but that didn't mention anything about a "rust" condition if you see where I'm going.

Here's what I've got...

1976 Chevy Blazer
    Just under 200k miles
    400 V8
    Leaky Auto Tranny (shifts good as long as it's got plenty of fluid in it)
    Full-Time 4x4 (I don't jack about this system) It's got full-time (AWD-normal driving position), high-range, and low-range.
    A/C (still blows cold)
    No "Death Wobble", drives down the road just fine. Starts every time, Steering's a little loose but not too horribly bad, deffinately needs shock absorbers.
    Runs ok but needs a serious tune up and exhaust work (mufflers and tailpipes). It might pass emissions easily once that's done.
    Everything else on it works... 4x4, lights,tach (which I may steel for my other one), power steering, power brakes (disk up front).
    It's really rusty. Depending on how you want to define it, there's no body damage from any accidents, just rust. (Notice the bubbles under the paint.)

At any rate, I'm in CO. Castle Rock, CO 80104 to be exact. Can someone tell me what it might be realisticly worth? I would really appreciate all the help good people! I don't want to make a fool of myself trying to trade it for something that's out of my league.

Thanks again!

Here's "Butch"...
    [​IMG]

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Prices vary by location, but around here something in that condition would probably fetch around $2,500.00. Looks like the tires are fairly new which is a good selling point. If you tuned it up and got it running pretty good then i bet you could get more in line with $3,000.00 maybe $3,200.00.

3. chriskh

Wow! Even with all the rust?

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

eh, I've bought nicer trucks for $800-1500 with no rust... But seen them sell as high as $3000 rotted out. I'd say for a trade figure $1500-2000 would seem fair. Worst case is the owner of the boat might say no.

5. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

If it's rusted through, I doubt it. But it only takes one sucker. :D Just be honest, don't be a jerk & try to hide the rust.

6. chriskh

:haha: LOL! That would be cool but impossible.

I guess I could take it muddin' then show it... :whistle:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Nah...not here..

Here in rusty new england,you'd be lucky to get 500-1000 bucks for it--no offence!..there are lots of rotted trucks here to choose from--I bet it would bring more in peices than whole,a 400 SB is worth 500 in decent condition alone..we parted out many 4x4's just like yours and made a lot more than if we sold it as a driver..

Things might change now that junkyards have crushed all the older trucks now though..prices might go up,because of rareity--but the number of guys looking to buy are dwindling rapidly too..no one here seems to want older trucks as much as they used too..

Its wierd how things can be worth so much more in other places..here a rust free K5 is gold,you'd get 3500 bucks without too much trouble for one..but no way would anyone here pay 2500 for anything thats got rot showing...not something thats not in the 90's anyway.. :(

8. chriskh

Anybody else have any opinions on this?

9. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

For comparison, I'm having trouble selling an 84 K5 w/ 6.2 diesel, newer HD "J" model engine, rebuilt t-case, newer 32's, newer aalternator, new GPs, extra injectors, & extra new GP's for $1000.

I guess it's all about timing and finding someone that wants what you are trying to sell.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd trade ya!...

Nobody here is biting either...not 1 person has even asked about my 79 C10--I think the fact it is 2wd and gas is expensive is keeping anyone from being interested in it..not many 79's here with hardly any rust like mine,but I guess nobody has any money--all I see is cars and trucks on front lawns for sale,and all the ones in the classifieds aren't selling either..so I'm hesitant to spend money for an ad!.. :doah:

If you were closer,and I had sold my truck,I'd be interested in your diesel K5..but right now I'm about broke,and though I'd rather not have to sell my
    C-10,I don't really have a choice--and I'd rather not let it sit all winter,and have it taking up space in the driveway(I'd have to cancel the plates and insurance--can't afford it not working!)--and its hard enough plowing with 3 other vehicles in the way!.. :crazy:

11. chriskh

Well, maybe I'll see if I can place a free ad somewhere regarding an even trade. I want a boat for it and I guess the way I see it, even if someone didn't want the Blazer, it might be easier to seel it than a boat right about now. :confused: