Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is this?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4wood, May 6, 2004.

1. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

I was crawling around under the k5 today, and I noticed a metal plate that doesn't appear to do anything. It's bolted to the frame rail above the exhaust pipe on the driver side directly beneath the driver seat. I can't feel anything above it and it's not touching the t-case or anything and appears to be just a random piece of metal. Anyone have any clue what this is and what-if anything-it does?

2. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

Exhaust heat shield. Took mine off because it was rattling.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

My 1986 K5 had two exhaust heat shields on it . One for the converter and the other for the muffler .
    Tom

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Interesting, i have never seen a heat shield bolted to the frame, i have always seen them bolted right to the bottom of the truck shell itself, with spacers of course.

Try to get a picture of it, curious.

5. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

On my 77, there's a linkage mount for the auto trans shifter somewhere under there. Not sure if it's factory, as so much has been done to this truck.

If it's sheetmetal, then it's probably a heat shield. If it's thicker than that...some sort of link for the trans is my guess.

-T

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

On my '87, the cat is right about where you describe the location of this plate. It's a heat shield, to prevent ass-roasting...

7. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

Yeah, after looking at it some more, I got pretty convinced it was a heat shield. I'll try to snag a digital pic and post it. Thanks dudes.