Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 1, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I found this under the dash, I think it's something like the ignition module (sp?) or something like that because the wires goes from the box, through the firewall. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

That would be a computer. Pretty basic one it looks like. Your truck an 85 or 86? I think its there for controlling knock via the timing IIRC.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Its an 84 blazer /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

5. cybrfire

[ QUOTE ]
    Its an 84 blazer /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, ESC like Tim said. I was thinking 85 was the first year but I don't know that for definite.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ESC means... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah its ESC, my 84 had it. Electronic Spark Control. It looks for knocks on the knock sensor and retards the timing accordingly. I eliminated it. There was one wire from the computer to the distributor, if that wire was not connected the engine would not get spark. A new distributor and that was fixed(had one sitting that was perfectly fine).

8. cybrfire

I have an ESC distributor in the cabinet. Is there a way to eliminate that from the distributor so that it can be used without the computer. I never looked at it much so I don't know how integrated that stuff is in there.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah its ESC, my 84 had it. Electronic Spark Control. It looks for knocks on the knock sensor and retards the timing accordingly. I eliminated it. There was one wire from the computer to the distributor, if that wire was not connected the engine would not get spark. A new distributor and that was fixed(had one sitting that was perfectly fine).

[/ QUOTE ]
    ack, so I better not throw it out... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm not certain. A non ESC distributor may do it but I can't remember it may not go in(internal electronics might not mate up).

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If I got a different aftermarket distributor, it wont need the ESC computer? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. cybrfire

You need an HEI off of a earlier year chevrolet. They won't have the ESC connection. Stick that in and dump the computer.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oh okay. thanks

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You need an HEI off of a earlier year chevrolet. They won't have the ESC connection. Stick that in and dump the computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it have to be a factory one off an old chevy, or can it be something like this? web page or what? Also, if I wanted to run a MSD distributor (or something simular in quality) will that need the ESC computer? Sorry, I dont really understand this to well...

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

aftermarket distributor won't use ESC unless its exactly as factory design(Mallory or MSD won't be). You could use that Mallory dist. but I'd say its a waste of money. A stock GM distributor with adjustable vaccum advance(cheap and you don't need it) and an upgraded coil($30) would be about the same damn thing. Only reason I'd buy a nice brand new distributor would be a high performance application even then I'd probably build my own(buy parts and put it together).

See what you can find a distributor for. Depending on what you find one for go from there as far as upgrades are concerned and see which is the better value.

At autozone an accel cap and rotor kit is like $26. Add a nice MSD coil for like $40 and you've got $66 into a distributor + the cost of the unit itself.

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oh so I shouldn't waste my money on an aftermarket one? Whatever engine I have in the future, I was going to get it ebuilt, etc and put new parts on, so I thought I could replace the distributor to, but I guess not.

Thanks!

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

depends on what you get the distributor for. Much more than say $20 or 30 buying a new one makes alright sense. Its already "rebuilt" and has the parts you would need anyway. For me it makes no sense, I have a stash of distributors at hand.

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what makes no sense to you? Buying a new one. Do you have a stash distributors you got from the junkyard for spares or something?

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes yes and yes

free not from junkyard. Dad used to own a tow truck and hauled junk cars. Whats fun about junking cars is, sometimes people pay you to do it, you can scavenge them for free parts, then junk them and get paid /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Too bad insurance on a Tow truck is insane unless you use it all the time.

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay I guess I will just scavange the junk yards, or maybe your house /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif if the Distributor on the engine is dead.
    Thanks