Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is with Salvation Army?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Jun 2, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity, what the hell is wrong with this country that even the have-nots are too uppity to take some free stuff.

I just had SA in my office to pick up a few things, they come in and say "We'll have to look at those clothes first" and proceed to dig through the clothes and take what they deemed acceptable /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, they also inform me that they cannot take the perfectly good locking file cabinet, it's over 100 lbs. This is two grown men with a furniture dolly and a 24' delivery truck with a ramp! They then go on to tell me that they will not take the 17" monitor, laser printer, multifunction HP, speakers, VCR or books or magazines! (all the electronics work fine) What a huge crock of sh*t! Here I am, trying to be a nice guy, and get a tax write off, and my stuff isn't good enough for them. I could have just thrown this crap away at home rather than haul it all down to my office.

Same damn thing happened with Habitat, remodeled my house last summer, had 3 toilets, 6 doors, 3 sinks, disposal, loads of light fixtures, dishwasher and oven. Called Habitat so I could drop it off to them, the guy actually said to me:

"No we won't take that stuff, would YOU want to sit on a used toilet?"

Um, no, but I'm not the poor bastard unable to provide for his own family expecting other people to supply me with a place to live for free, I can actually AFFORD to go buy whatever godda**m toilet I want.

What the hell is the matter with people, free isn't quite good enough, it needs to be free AND new.

I am so fu**ing annoyed right now, I feel like delivering them another load of clothes....

that I crapped on.

sorry for the rant, I feel much better now thank you.

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

We give all our stuff to the Military Order of The Purple Heart /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

HFH only uses new things. They have contracts set up with different large agencies and set up things with smaller ones from time to time in certain areas. They are a business and they have certain things set up for ease, quickness and taxes. They get stuff from Home Depot for example and Home Depot looks good, they get the write off and HFH gets the items they need. I used to do stuff with them all the time when I had more freetime. The guy you talked to was an idiot to say what he did (as in having a clue and tact). They didn't take it because it doesn't have a warrenty (and it's not from a sponsor company). Say a family moves in and the sink cracks, Home Depot (or whoever supplied it) can and will replace it. On used goods, the same doesn't come into play. I wouldn't be too offended, it's just how it's set up because it makes it easier for them in the long run.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I probably would have reacted much differently had that been the response I got, but they have a HFH store here that DOES accept used items, but not toilets or sinks. At any rate, I have been poor, I moved to CO in 1995 with a suitcase and $600, and I would not have questioned a free item just because it has no warranty, it's free for christ's sake!

It's just frustrating when you work hard and most (not all) of the people I see recieving public assistance of any sort do not deserve it. Period. Nor do they appreciate it in the least, they are owed our help in their minds.

I guess I just don't understand the mentality, I have never accepted any help from family or community, and I pulled myself up by my own bootstraps to where I am today.

I guess some people would call me lucky, I just don't see it that way.

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I drop stuff off at Salvation Army all the time, they have never questioned anything...... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My dad will never donate to the Salvation Army again.

Called them up, let them know he had a matching, working washer and dryer.

They told him where to put it in front of the house, and approximate time they would get it since he had to leave.

He comes back, and there they are, with a note on them, basically saying they weren't new enough. It wasn't totally the fact that they didn't want it, more they didn't mention it in the first place.

Besides that, anyone that can't afford their own stuff has no grounds to complain about how new or good looking something is. (although I'm not sure if SA actually gives anything away for free)

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

They do not. At least not here, they sell it in the thrift store. I've been to the store, and I would be much more likely to buy the stuff I was trying to give to them than the worthless crap household goods they had there. Anyway, I figure if they'll take a washer they can sell for 20-30 bucks, that has to be more cost effective than 100 crappy shirts for .25 apiece.

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I've never given anything to the Salvation Army... Every few months at work, I go through the bellman closet and the lost and found closet and usually take a crap load of stuff down to the GOODWILL... And some of this stuff that people leave behind in hotels and never come back for is NICE... No problems with Goodwill here though, they accept whatever I take them... But I usually just go in the back door of the warehouse and put the stuff in the box they have there since no one is ever around to sort through it...

If the owners don't call to claim it after a certain amount of time and no one at the hotel wants it, it goes in the box... I made off with a nice set of Hot Wheels that were in the bellman closet for a year and a half /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif...

9. offroadcowboy

offroadcowboy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    would YOU want to sit on a used toilet?"

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifDoes'nt everyone sit on a used toilet? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I'm guessing these folks use a dozen ass gaskets when they hit the public growler........ /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Good point! I hadn't even thought of that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The toilet in my house had been used for 20 years and I was fine with it for the first year. I just wanted the bigger oval ones so your johnson doesn't touch the porcelain or the seat.