Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is wrong with my t-case?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sammyt, Jan 26, 2003.

1. sammyt

sammyt Registered Member

I have a 1991 GMC Jimmy with a NP241 C transfercase. Recently the transfercase has been acting up. There is no 4high at all and when I put it in 4low it grinds gears. The transfercase has been dropped for as long as I've owned the truck but the problem only started after I lifted it and made a run on some trails. I pulled the t-case and opened it up yesterday and found that all the gears and and the chain look to be fine. What is wrong with my truck? The linkage, the transmission, the transfercase?

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i would un hook the linkage and click it in from under the truck manualy, then drive it. if thats not it i would look at the teflon pads on the shift forks, and while your in there, see how much slop there is in the chain.

3. sammyt

sammyt Registered Member

thanks

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Please fill in your profile, brother.......Welcome to CK5!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The transfercase has been dropped for as long as I've owned the truck but the problem only started after I lifted it and made a run on some trails.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you answer the question right there. When the case was lifted back up, it may have changed the relative position of the linkage enough that it doesn't engage properly. That's the place to start, anyway.

Also, if it grinds gears, is it just while you're shifting? Try turning off the engine, shift, then start the engine again.