Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is your opinion on this carb swap....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben Malinski, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

Still rebuilding the 454. Installed it a year ago, threw a rod, pulled the engine and put the 305 back in until the 454 is completed. The 305 needs a carb badly! I found a Q-jet, Edelbrock 850 #1910 for a reasonable price which I'll use on the 454. In the mean time, I'm thinking of using the 850 on the 1984 305. Overkill? Running problems? Drinking gasoline is not a problem here at $1.25 a gallon! Or should it work fine? The 305 and 454 have absolutely no smog devices, canisters, egr, heat riser, nothing. I'll hook up the vacuum lines for the brake booster, vacuum advance and hose from the carb to the breather and plug the rest. Thoughts? Opinions? Possible running problems? Thanks.
    canister, egr,

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

You'll probably have to re jet (or whatever you want to call it) when you put it on the big block if you want it to run well.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

it will work, to get you through. Jetting is required to change air/fuel ratio. this in most cases is not needed. Jetting really has nothing to do with engine size. You may have to change the power metering rods, if you end up with some accelerating stumbles. The nice thing about thses carbs is that that flap that goes over the secondaries can be adjusted so you don't get the airflow through the secondaries. allowing you to overcarb and get away with it. I think there are really only 2 sizes of q-jets. and most of the adaptability is because of the secondary air flap.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It will run like it was made to be there. There shouldn't be any problem with the size of a Q jet. The original one was 800 cfm or so anyway.

5. swampblazer

swampblazer Registered Member

the 850 will be fine
    i had a 305 with headers and an edelbrock intake flex fan. i dumped a 850 on it and it ran awesome i just set the primary screws so it wasnt smoking black at idle
    it should be fine man
    peace
    luke