Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is your U-joint angle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Just checkin in to see what are the biggest angles people are able to make work without vibrations.

I have 15* now and am having trouble getting rid of vibs. The angles are matched dead-on according to my angle finder. It is smooth under launch and vibrates all the time under cruise, except when coasting. This could mean that the pinion needs to come up a little bit.

There is about 5" of lift in the back, with stock driveshaft (208 slip-yoke) and 14Bsf.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

In all honesty, I don't know or care my pinion angle, and I'd change my u joints once a month if I had to in order to continue to enjoy my truck.

3. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

I paid $175 for a Cadilliac turbo 400 slipyoke CV shaft. It is well worth it ! Check your local driveshaft guy for details.
    Blake

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I paid $175 for a Cadilliac turbo 400 slipyoke CV shaft. It is well worth it ! Check your local driveshaft guy for details.
    Blake

[/ QUOTE ]

It was worth it to you, only because it hasn't destroyed the output shaft on your transfer case or that slip yoke yet.

The Cadilac CV is a very poor idea in my opinion. I don't have a slip yoke, but if I did, I woudldn't even consider putting that on my truck.

Jess from high angle has a slip yoke CV with splines that run all the way to the end of the yoke, unlike the cadilac CV.

5. Blue85

Yes, it is available. I think I was quoted $475, which is why I'm still trying to make the standard style driveshaft work.

I don't see why a person couldn't get a Cadillac driveshaft from a junkyard and put on a new slip yoke, like the ones on the bottom of this page: slip yokes: $70-$80 . Maybe there's a reason why it wouldn't work, but I'm thinking you could have the whole thing done for half the cost of a new shaft from high angle.

6. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I have a CV style rear shaft!
    Bill

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't think you're going to be getting rid of the vibration.

I've been trying to find a solution to my own driveline vibrations. $395 for a High Angle Driveline shaft isn't a viable solution. I don't understand why I can get a SYE and CV shaft for $440 for a fscking NP231 in a Jeep but yet...

I guess the market dictates such.

Anyway, the hard part is finding a 1310 slip yoke that is CV-able. Spicer doesn't make a 32 spline one to my knowledge. At least I haven't found one yet. I've been trying to find a slip yoke that takes a Spicer-style driveshaft (strap-type or U-bolt type) instead of what we've got. They're out there but they're $80-$125 depending on where you shop at and whether they're coated.

The ball end of the CV to hook to the slip yoke is about $40. The ball stud tube yoke is about $40. The H-yoke is about $30. The tube weld yoke is about $40.

I had all the parts speced out for a 1310 3"x.120" shaft but for some reason it's corrupted on my website and I don't have the information anymore.

My goal is to build a shaft for $225 or less (excluding tube). I mean, for Pete's sake you don't even have to put a slip spline in a slip yoke shaft so the cost goes down right there. If I can get one for my Dad's fscking Jeep I should be able to get one for my truck.

8. Blue85

Yes, I am unable to fix it with the simple 2-U-joint type of shaft with having my T-case lowered. I was trying to get it back up, but it was driving my U-joint angles to 15 or 16+ degrees. When braking hard, the thing was nearly binding and rattling something crazy. With my T-case spaced down nearly 1.5", I am able to get both angles just under 13 degrees (using 6.5 degrees of shim wedge due to my shackle flip). This runs almost perfect, except for a slight shimmy in 1st gear. The irony is that this is exactly the setup I started with a week ago. I still suspect that the shimmy is due to play in the slip splines and movement of the driveline on the crossmember mount. I can drive 85 and it's smooth (but I usually don't due to the $$)