Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What it all entails?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by possum, Jan 14, 2002.

1. possum

possum Registered Member

When you switch from one set of axels, say 1/2t to 3/4t, what all would you need to change? I have 33's but my next set will be 35's. I'm leaning towards 4.56 gears if I can find them at a yard or somewhere inexpensively. I would really like to be able to just put one under where I removed the original. Is this possible or will I need to change other things also? I have a 78 th350/np203 1/2t 3.08 (I believe, I'm assuming it's stock), 4" lift. If that info helps.

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

In my opinion you could look for a set of axles with 3.73 in them, that should be fine for 35" tires. Ideal would be regearing to 4.10's but regearing costs more than a old set of axles from a junk-yard does. I belive you could find 3.73 in blazers with 305's in them from the factory.
    Hope I helped some.

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

3. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

This is a common swap and I already have the axles, but I have to save some money before I do the swap. If you do a search you will probably find more information, but I can tell you that you may have to move the spring perches and you will have to have your driveshafts modified. You will also need new wheels and maybe new tires if you use bigger wheels. 15" wheels can be used if you do some grinding on the brake calipers to make them fit but you will need 8 lug wheels. If you don't want to grind the brakes you will need new bigger 8 lug wheels and tires to fit them. If you haven't put extended brake lines on your lifted rig it would be a good idea. I don't know for sure but it seems to me that bigger heavier axles could move your springs more and that could cause short brake lines to break. Good luck and happy wheeling

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)

4. possum

possum Registered Member

I've already got the brake lines changed.

5. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i was under the impression that 3/4 ton axles don't need to have the perches moved, only on the one ton axles.

If it can't be broken then I haven't had it.
    '74K5 NP203/sm465 4"Lift 35"BFGs 350ci

6. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Thats what I thought, too. Can anyone confirm that? BTW, I got a bud who says an angle grinder will be your best friend for awhile when grinding 3/4 ton calipers for 15 inch 8 lug wheels.

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

3/4 ton bolt in, 1 ton need modified on the 14ff. Dana 44, 10 bolt, and Dana 60 fronts are bolt ins except the Dana 44 uses a different brake line on the caliper.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Also E brake cables might need changed. If you step up to 3/4 ton you will need wheels too. You can run 15" wheels so you don't have to buy new tires but If you want to make it easy and are buying new tires when you do the swap just go to 16's so you don't have to grind the calipers. If you are just going with a 4" lift your driveshafts should be fine and will just need a conversion u joint to hook to the 14 bolt. If you are not going any bigger then 35's just get a set with 4:10's which will be pretty common and easy to find. I have 4:56's and 35's now but I have overdrive for the highway. Without overdrive I would not recommend 4:56's because of the rpm's at 60 plus mph. I am planning to step up to 38.5's and swap a th400 in so that is why I wanted steeper gears. Hope this helps you.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

9. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Hey wayne, Thanks I was hoping that I wouldn't have to move the perches on my own 3/4T swap, but I wasn't sure. If someone could please clarify do I need to change the brake lines when going from a 1/2T Dana 44 to a 3/4T Dana 44?

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)