Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what kind of axle do I need to do a corss over

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James90, Jul 24, 2000.

1. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I want to try to start building a set of axles to put on my blazer after I get a lift I want to get a 4" or 6" sep lift and a 3" body lift and 36s or 38s maybe 39.5s so I thank I will need a corss over so I can drive it. so my ? is what kind of axle do I need to get? (I want to get something big like a dana 60 or 70 and maybe a 14 bolt s/f in the back) can you do a cross over on a dana 60 or 70?

I wont get a lift for a year or two so I have time to build some axles and I want to build them right so it might be real slow going.

thanks guys

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hi, there is a tech article on this site that shows how to do a crossover steering conversion on a D44. It does'nt look that hard. I have also seen D60's done this way, but the knuckles are different than the D44, and it might be easier. A buddy of mine has a 79 3/4 ton 4x4 van (chevy, factory 4x4) and it runs a pretty neat crossover set-up on the D44. So I figure if it was a factory set-up then GM might be a place to source what you need.
    Rene

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

The crossover steering can be done on just about anything if you try hard enough. The dana 60 would be basically a bolt-on. The dana 44 would require machining to install studs on top of the knuckle, which would also require removal of the knuckle (PITA). With 39's u need a 60. But D44's are cheap!

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash