Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what kind of axles are these?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Greek, Dec 28, 2006.

1. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

found them at the junkyard, the guy said they are military axles with 4:56s..also dunno what it means but i saw 60 2F stamped on them:dunno:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im wondering if these are dana 60's, also wanted to know if these would bolt into my truck, and how to get rid of the full time 4wd. theres like 3-4 sets of these

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the front looks like a closed knuckle setup. the bolt pattern is not that great. If I were looking for axles I would pass on those. there would be some fabbing involved in gettin them to work.

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

They are a Dana 60 and Dana 70 from a M715 miltary Jeep.
    Not disireable, weak shafts and closed knuckel design.

If the t-case is still in the truck it will be a divorced np200 with and e-brake on the rear output. I've heard the e-brake setup can be converted to a np205 with a little machining.

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, and the gears are 5.87:1, open diffs.

5. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

yea only thing i really want is a 1 ton front rear but i either cant find them or they cost to much..theres a few 8 lug dana 44 laying around there for about $150 might just settle for one of those..i think he wants $300 for both of those rears

6. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

what would i need to be able to get the front to work? is there anyway to get it to a 8 lug pattern and what else would i have to modify

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

there really isn't anything useable there. they are drums, which suck. 5.87 ratio so you are going to need some huge tires or 2 overdrives. bolt pattern is goofy. hold onto your money there are deals out there. usually never in the junkyard though. they scrap trucks for a living and know what stuff is worth.

8. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Those can be converted to disks and 8 on 6.5. Check out www.m715zone.com for info on them. My brother runs a set in his M715 with stock gears and brakes, full hydro steering and a chevy drivetrain. He took a set of steel 15x10 waggon wheels and cut out the centers then welded in the turned down stock 16" centers to get that 6 on huge lug pattern into a wheel that fit his 39.5 boggers. 350,465, 205 and 5.87s spins them nice.

9. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would agree with the save you money part I have a Dana 60 rear you could have for $100 and have a way to get it to Fla for you if someone want to carry it for you

10. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

xxx2

if your truck already had these then yeah, you can upgrade the discs and blah blah blah. Don't buy yourself into them just because they are big. Assuming the gears are probably trashed and rusty from sitting and or misuse, you will have to drop big coin on those axles just to get them to somewhat equal a stock D60. I dont know if it was mentioned, but turning radius sucks even more with a closed knuckle axle vs. an open.