Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of Axles, Tires, Lift to get me out of the woods?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I am looking for reliability that'll get ya out of the woods. Thinking about the back wood trails that don't see much use. Have you guys seen any posts on this? Thanks.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You dont need those Being reliable is a major goal for mine. I like to hit the back wood trails that don't see much use. So The mods I'd recomened would be: 3/4 Ton axles (cheaper then 1 Ton, but 1 Ton is better) and either a 4" or 6" suspension lift, and 33" to 36" tires. Now I don't know how you feel about trimming fenders, so I'll leave that one alone. That'll get ya out in the woods.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

is this what you were looking for /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

just messin' with ya' z3

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What have you done so far?

That is my wheeling target - self-sufficient excursions through the back country.

I went 1 ton (ARB ft, DL r)
    MTRs work good but I have ruined one with a large puncture....
    My lift is at 6"

I also spent extra on the drivelines.

4. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

hello!
    I know what you are talkin' bout! That is the kind of wheeling I like to do.
    Not sure about your place-is there lots of mud?
    Things I like are some sort of locker or posi and good tires. (all tearrain for most except REAL mud, then go mudders /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
    And be sure to take some kind of a kit with you, you never what might brake down, blow up, shred apart, or fail. (you also never know who or what your gonna meet out there in the boonies /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    just my .02

5. Sandman

You dont need those Being reliable is a major goal for mine. I like to hit the back wood trails that don't see much use. So The mods I'd recomened would be: 3/4 Ton axles (cheaper then 1 Ton, but 1 Ton is better) and either a 4" or 6" suspension lift, and 33" to 36" tires. Now I don't know how you feel about trimming fenders, so I'll leave that one alone. That'll get ya out in the woods.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Your just full of it today huh??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Sandman

I'm always full of it! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I guess I am missing something..... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. Sandman

I'm making fun of the same post that people keep sticking on other peoples questions. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

that is why sandman and i have the same post /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What can I say ???? I'm a firm beliver that the best mod for the money is a set of 3/4 Ton axles. $250.00 for a set of 3/4 Ton-ers was money well spent in my opinion !!!!!

13. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm a firm beliver that the best mod for the money is a set of 3/4 Ton axles. $250.00 for a set of 3/4 Ton-ers was money well spent in my opinion !!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree if it were that simple.
    Now factor in the cost to rebuild the axles (at least bearings and brakes), new wheels and tires, etc.. Suddenly the $250 doesn't look so good seeing how you spend another $500 to make the axles work.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Mine are good to go. No reason to rebuild. Granted, I did get lucky finding these from a wrecked truck that had everything rebuilt less then 5,000 miles befor it's death. New rims are a reality I can live with. Probley going to get the steel white wagon wheels anyways. They'll look good with my two-tone blue and white paint.

15. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

dude, what have you been smoking.....
    Must be some good stuff man /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. gmcsrgr8

gmcsrgr8 Registered Member

The best mod that I have done so far (besides my new engine) is to put my Mtn. bike in the back of my JImmy, that way I know that I can get back out of the woods. Not the most cost effective mod though, the jimmy was $100 and the bike was $3,000. But if something broke on the Jimmy I would just leave it there and find another one for $100 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I think you should go with 10b front and rear with 44's and 2.42 gears. Maybe a 4" lift with no trimming. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif