Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of axles??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hammer78, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Hammer78

Hammer78 Newbie

I have a '85 K5, the axles are not stock, and i have no idea what they are. The rear has 12 bolts, the front has 10. The rear has GM 63 printed on it. Someone who works at my mechanic's shop told me they are Dana 60s but i have no clue. Please help!

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Go to the top of the page, and click on technical. Scroll down to the axle ID portion, and match them up....Tell us what you come up with....

3. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

I may be wrong but I thought dana 60's only had 10 bolts, my bet would be its a 12 blt. as for the front its hard to tell the difference between a 10 blt and dana 44 from the pictures in the axle identification chart, the way I finally learned mine was a 10 blt was by the ears on top of the housing.
    -Kell-

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

tell your mechanic he has no clue about GM trucks, its a normal 8.875" truck 12 bolt axle used through 1982, front is a 10 bolt 8.5" Gm corp axle if it is round cover shape