Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of Battery?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cbbr, Jul 31, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The Delco finally died. I'm going, I think to a dual battery setup. Question is what kind/brand of battery to buy. What are you running and why? Is an Optima really that much better?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

In one rig I have a 7-year-old Duralast Gold from Autozone that's still going strong. 3 Die Hards in a row crapped out in 13-15 months before it. :mad:

A friend had an Optima last 9 years in a rarely driven Land Cruiser.

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am running a Duralast Gold (800 Cold Cranking apms) that I bought from Autozone for $60. The Sears Die Hard Gold line of batteries are made by the same company that makes the Duralast Gold, but the Duralast's are $20 cheaper...with the same warranty. When I originally bought the my truck it had a red top Optima, which was 7 years old.

4. 79GMC4x4

79GMC4x4 Newbie

I can attest to Optima's being okay when treated well. However, they are absolutely no better when somewhat abused by non-use. Had two go bad. The only advantage is when you want to mount them in a position other than straight up. There are a couple of rip-offs of Optimas, which you may find cheaper.

For now? I just use cheap Walmart batteries. Sounds stupid I bet, but they work fine if the truck doesn't get used enough. For a vehicle that gets used every day, go ahead and spend your money on the Optima, Interstate, Sears Gold......

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I run 1100cca interstate batteries. Never had an issue with them yet.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have a yellow top optima in my blazer and it has always done great for me.

7. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Been using Interstate batteries for many years, never had a problem...Depending on how many off-road lights,winch,stereo ect... might go deep cycle.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm cheep...

I pay 15 bucks for a battery at the junkyard I go to a lot--I look for a fresh arrival in a late model wreck--most of them have fairly new batteries in them..opposed to the scrap vehicles hauled in that have a junk one or none..They have a box truck body FULL of batteries all the time--but you have to sift thru them to find one the right size and not too old--I have come away with nearly brand new Die-Hards,Duralast,Ever Starts,etc for 15 bucks!..

They have a "if it dies we give you another one free" gaurantee for 30 days!--but they wont take the first one back IF its junk!--they consider batteries a neusance,they dont even remove them from the cars most of the time,and they bring sqat at the scrapyard--and they get fined by the EPA if they get caught with a lot of them littering the place--so they just assume sell them cheap,and get rid of them! :D

I'd like to be rich enough to buy brand new batteries,but since my trucks get used only sparingly now,I cant see paying nearly 100 bucks for one,then having it go dead from sitting...I've had excellent luck with "hardly used" batteries in my trucks..for a lot less than new!.. :crazy: :D

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

If ya go with the dual battery setup, you'll need some kind of isolator system to do it right. My system is composed of Red and Yellow top Optimas, a PowerMaster 140amp alternator and the Hellroaring dual battery isolator/combiner with remote switch. 12k Warn winch, CB, cheap MP3 player. It's a sweet set up. The switch has 3 different positions. 1 for both batteries combined and charging. Truck runs off both batteries. Second position for both batteries isolated from each other and charging, but only running off the main battery. And position #3 completely removes the backup battery from the system. Also, my cables are almost all 2/0 or 1/0 welding cable. The cables from the hellroaring unit to the battery are 2 gauge. Everything else is the welding cable. Battery to frame, battery to block, block to frame, winch to frame, winch to battery, block to body.
    Hellroaring website

This is what the unit looks like installed in my truck-
    [​IMG]

It's not cheap- $179 for the model I got and and extra $40 for the remote switch option. Better safe than sorry though- the electrical system isn't something to skimp on as far as I'm concerned. If ya wanted to know how to do it right, thats one way. :D

10. blazerpunk

blazerpunk 1/2 ton status

Optima red top. The best money I've spent so far. I didn't even notice when I threw my alt. belt, probably 5 starts and 10 min. with lights on still started no prob. when I put a new belt on.

11. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Here This is what I asked a optima rep. and this is his answer

Question:
    I am going to purchase one of your batteries however I'm not sure which one
    would be better for my application. I have a 1982 Chevy k5 Blazer with a
    12K pound winch used for extreme 4X4. Which battery is better, The Red of
    the Yellow top?. What the best battery I can get which will fit my
    application and what is the battery ID# of this battery?

Answer:
    Since you have a winch, you would need to use a yellow top deep cycle
    battery for your application. Unfortunately, we do not have a battery for
    your application. Although, you can measure the dimensions of your
    existing stock battery versus that of an Optima battery and see if one
    would work for you. Below is the link to our product specs where you can
    find the dimensions of Optima Batteries.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publ...ical_specs.html

I dont know if this helps but I just posted it anyways

12. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Dual Optima Marine Batteries

I want the screw top terminals and DEEEEEEEEEP draw.

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Joe, if you want to do it right make sure you get a grommet on that hole in the firewall or you're asking for an electrical fire. :deal:

14. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I have only bought one battery in my life, an Optima red top. Since then, its been in 3 seperate vehicles, all my daily drivers. Other than that, I just get my batteries from parts trucks for free. $15 for a battery! Are you crazy? I'm too poor for that kind of splurging! :haha:

15. no1uknow

no1uknow 1/2 ton status

I'm happy with my optima yellow top. My truck sits for long periods of time and when I go to crank it over it never fails.............

16. blownout

blownout Registered Member

just use some .

use some ones car to jumpe start the truck its cheeper then buying one thike about it

17. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I know....I didn't have time to find a 2" grommet before Blazer Fest, so I just lined the hole with electrical tape. Got any idea where I could find a grommet for a 2" hole?

18. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I am using a battery from autozone.... 1000ca (900cca I think) and am going to get a second one......

question for you people with duals and an isolater... I understand that an isolator will keep them seperate but what if you want to use both?
    my Ramsey Patriot 15k is currently 298 miles from me :doah:

then when I get it I will be camping at asetique or chinketique (sp?) for the weekend.. so next week I am going to start my dual battery swap and winch install....

I want to be able to use both batteries for the winch..... so just hook it up like a diesel?

I dont care about one only used to start the truck.. that is what my battery jump box is for :bow:

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Seem to be more Optima's than any thing else. Are they a problem when you only drive the truck on weekends? I have been told that they need to be charged frequently or they have problems.

20. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

If you plan on parking it for a while, disconnect the batteries from each other(dual batteries if this is your plan) and from the truck itself. Kind of a PITA but it helps the life of any battery whether it be optima or something else.