Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of car?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyCaGal, May 30, 2003.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

OK, well today I had my car (95 Dodge Peeon) taken to the shop and they gave me a $750 estimate.... I about had heart failure, but thanks to the NCBD, my fellow club, I think I will not be spending quite as much. Anyhow... I realize realistically it's only a matter of time before this car blows up. I'm thinking head gasket, they are famous for that.

Oh, anyhow again.... I've been thinking, yes I know, a dangerous thing... but I will need a new car probably when I go back to work this fall and resume normal hours (I work for a school district, and for summer we have retarded hours). I probably won't get much for selling this car. Frankly, I don't want new. I want something presmog (74, older). It's just easier, not that I want to drive around something puking out smoke.

So what would you guys suggest I look into. I really want a Chevy. Mostly out of, once I can finally wrench on my truck well, I can use that knowledge on the car. Be nice to have a few parts too that would work on both. I'm not gonna have a ton of cash. But what do you suggest. I'd die to get a 67 Camaro, but that ain't gonna happen. I'll be happy with a beater. I can gradually fix it up. Maybe someday make it into a really decent ride. I just don't really know poo about older Chevys, so any suggestion would be nice. My only requirement is it's an auto tranny. I have a habit of dislocating my shoulder (soccer), and it sucks. Sucks worse trying to shift... thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I definitely don't blame you for wanting to pitch the Dadge None. I could not even begin to count how many headgaskets we have installed in them at the shop(ironically, many were only for oil leakage--headgaskets on the 2.0L see oil pressure--and leak it). As far as a vehicle I would recommend to anyone (wanting a Chevy) would be the 68-72 Nova's as they are good stout cars. I've had one for about 14yrs now and it had been nothing but a great car. I have done many(!) mods to it, but even in it's original form it was a great, reliable vehicle. These vehicles are becoming increasingly popular, and much more is available through the aftermarket these days than when I started building mine. Parts I had to scrounge through wrecking yards for are available through several places now. Most suspension components from 67-69 camaro's interchange with the 68-72 Nova's, which is a cool feature. While mine can't turn with a C5 Vette, it definitely suprises most people who ride in it that are unfamiliar with the build-up and are expecting "old muscle car handling/braking characteristics". These cars can still be found for some reasonable prices (compared to early Camaros). If I was looking for one again, I would look for a 2dr, V-8, P/S, A/C (personal preference), and MOST importantly front disc brakes (preferrably power assisted). Just my $.02 as I have had great luck with mine, and would not hesitate to recommend one to you.
    Good luck with your search,
    Nick

3. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

El Caminos are always a cool ride, plus its still a truck! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My first car was a 71 nova. I picked it up for $400. I replaced the fuel pump and had the gas tank brazed and drove it everyday until I sold it. It had a 250I6 that burned oil. It had been in an accedent, apparent in the fact that the drivers side fenders didn't line up right and were black instead of gold. I painted it all grey primer and let it be. The bottom of the windsheild was completely rusted out.

Some days I missed that car and its gold shag interior. Except for the rust at the windshield and the messed up gapping on the fender it was a really straight and decent car. Very reliable too. The coolest thing with the vinyl seats is watching the person slide across it in your rear view mirror when you corner /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you can find one cheap they are great cars.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

One of the problems you may run into with your search for a older Chevy is alot of them have been owned by kids that beat the piss out of them. Try too find one owned by a older person / couple. El Camino, Nova, Chevelle, ...ect. are all cool. I've always liked the Monte Carlo myself. I've owned sevreal from 1970 through 1985. My fav. was a 73. It was a big car, but I could spin a 180 in a standard city intersection without hitting a curb !!!! ( See what I mean about older Chevy's being beat on by some kid /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif )

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i would like an mid-80's monte i think they are nice cars..wish i could afford ot have more than one vehicle....

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My last Monte was a 85. Nice car. Only had a 4.3 V-6, but everyone thought it had a V-8 becouse it wasn't no pooch. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I vote for a late '60's Cadillac. If you look hard enough you can find a really really nice one for under $5k.

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I vote for a Trans Am, from any year. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hey, I just had 4 people in my 79 TA last night without a problem, they are practical! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

the best way to shop for older cars is when they "bottom" out. An example would be the price of a 79-85 vette. Cheap as can be, but in a few years, prices should start to rise. You can buy a cheap early 70's camaro also. Parts are cheap and easy to come by still. Prices will rise on these so its a good investment if you intend to keep for sometime.

My next car is a 67 chevelle...unfortunetly i missed the "bottom" on these /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

11. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

when you come to texas this summer, i have a nice 83 pontiac bonneville you can take back with you, i thought about keeping it and letting my saturn go back, but it would mess up my credit and i am over halfway paid off on the saturn now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

70-72 Chevy Nova, 2dr. post,350, TH350, p.s., p.b., a.c..
    It's a Chevy, can be hot rodded easily, and still big enough to offer protection, in an accident. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]
    when you come to texas this summer, i have a nice 83 pontiac bonneville you can take back with you, i thought about keeping it and letting my saturn go back, but it would mess up my credit and i am over halfway paid off on the saturn now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was supposed to go this weekend, but my other friend is getting married, and I am in the wedding. Otherwise I would have been there right now. That made it not work out. Then we planned it for next weekend, then what do ya know, my other friend is getting married, and I am in that.... sheesh! Anyhow, the person I was gonna drive with already left. She had a job in Denton, so I won't make it. If my butt wasn't so broke, I'd still go anyway..... but dang, I would have to collect cans for weeks! Maybe in the fall!? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyhow, if I get anything, I need older then a 74 because anything out state would be a butt to smog here.... frankly, I don't wanna play smog anymore then I have too, it sucks! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]
    70-72 Chevy Nova, 2dr. post,350, TH350, p.s., p.b., a.c..
    It's a Chevy, can be hot rodded easily, and still big enough to offer protection, in an accident. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyhow, if I get anything, I need older then a 74 because anything out state would be a butt to smog here.... frankly, I don't wanna play smog anymore then I have too, it sucks!

[/ QUOTE ]Yeap, 1975 was the year of the cat, so 1974 and older. But that still leaves alot of really cool vechiles to look for. How about a shortbox 2wd pick-up ??? You can usely find those in decent shape. One with a slightly lowered front, and step side box looks really cool in my honest opinion. Ofcorse a V8 is the Kewl factor, but a 250 inline 6 would get better gas milage.

16. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

is it in the water, i mean all your friends are getting married /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

on the smog, move to another state /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]
    is it in the water, i mean all your friends are getting married /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

on the smog, move to another state /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend getting married today, she sucks! It was some lame wedding at city hall or someplace downtown to begin with, but I said I'd be a bridesmaid (we were told to dress nice is all, so right there I should have known), then they were gonna do a reception. Well they decided they were too poor for the reception right now, so they will get married today, and do the reception in July. WTF, I could have had a free (well other then buying food) trip to Texas! Not to mention I could have met a lot of you folks.... dang she's a freaking airhead. Oh well, least now I can get my car fixed, I'm going to Icemans house here as soon as I am done blow drying my hair (am as I type).... then we'll go from there. Guess it worked out though... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

18. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, '67 camaros rock! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I'd be looking at anything pre-smog... However, you buy anything that old, it will be breaking down on you, and unless you know how to fix it yourself... you'll be in the same situation having to pay someone else to do it and the older it is the more often it'll have things going wrong with it.
    With the dodge... eventually things will blow up on it as with any car... If you get something 30 years old thinking it'll be better, you know its going to need a lot of things to be replaced, probably as soon as you start driving it. Getting a 60's or 70's vehicle is setting youself up for more frusteration and parts chasing. If you don't mind that, then go for it. Once you've replaced nearly everything, then it'll be pretty dependable for being such an old vehicle.

New Cars= Dependable
    Old Cars= A fun hobby, always full of excitment... Where are you gonna break down and have to fix it next! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

19. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, '67 camaros rock! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I'd be looking at anything pre-smog... However, you buy anything that old, it will be breaking down on you, and unless you know how to fix it yourself... you'll be in the same situation having to pay someone else to do it and the older it is the more often it'll have things going wrong with it.
    With the dodge... eventually things will blow up on it as with any car... If you get something 30 years old thinking it'll be better, you know its going to need a lot of things to be replaced, probably as soon as you start driving it. Getting a 60's or 70's vehicle is setting youself up for more frusteration and parts chasing. If you don't mind that, then go for it. Once you've replaced nearly everything, then it'll be pretty dependable for being such an old vehicle.

New Cars= Dependable
    Old Cars= A fun hobby, always full of excitment... Where are you gonna break down and have to fix it next! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather learn to wrench on the old, rather then the new. Just out of the computer stuff.... I dislike that stuff more then anything. After having to spend $120 on a freaking fuel injector too, I was like new stuff sucks! That wasn't the cost to replace it, it was the part itself. Geez! Anyhow, thanks to Iceman today, I can now do a brake job on the Peeon... there is hope for me, and I can learn. There is a center I work at, and they offer auto classes. I am gonna look into the cost. I think it's $40 for an 8 week class. Can't beat that... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

My first car - '73 Nova Hatchback, wish I still had that car....